Charleston (1785-1791) County, South Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Not to be confused with the much larger, modern Charleston County that was created in 1800 and still exists today.
- Not to be confused with the overarching Charleston District that existed from 1768 to 1800.
This old 1785 Charleston County's boundaries were only a small fraction modern Charleston County which has existed since 1800.
Charleston (1785-1791) County was never surveyed or properly laid out. In this case the term "county" had no practical meaning other than to describe an approximate geographical area. It was a county in name only.
Charleston (1785-1791) County was abolished in 1791.
For documents of people who lived in this area from 1768 to 1800, look in:
- Christ Church Parish records since 1706
- St. Andrew's Parish records since 1706
- St. Bartholomew's Parish records since 1706
- St. James Goose Creek Parish records since 1706
- St. James Santee Parish records since 1706
- St. Paul's Parish records since 1706
- St. Philip's Parish records since 1706
- St. Thomas and St. Denis Parish records since 1706
- St. John's Berkeley Parish records since 1708
- St. George Parish records since 1717
- St. John's Colleton Parish records since 1730
- St. Michael's Parish records since 1751
- St. Stephen's Parish records since 1754
- papers filed in the early capital at Charleston, South Carolina.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 "The Counties from 1664 to Present - In Alphabetical Order" in South Carolina - The Counties at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/sc_counties_alphabetical_order.html (accessed 28 April 2011).
- ↑ A History of Charleston County, South Carolina in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Counties/Charleston_county_sc.html (accessed 5 May 2011).
- ↑ "South Carolina Districts and Parishes 1760" [map] in Carolana at http://www.carolana.com/SC/Royal_Colony/sc_royal_colony_counties_parishes_1760.html (accessed 7 May 2011).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News