Charlotte County, New York GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Charlotte County, New York was created from the northwestern part of Albany County in 1772. This included present-day Franklin, Clinton, Essex, Warren, Washington, and Saratoga counties in New York. For a map see the bottom of this page.
New York's Charlotte County also claimed to include much of western Vermont on the east side of Lake Champlain, ceded by New York to Vermont in 1777. This included present-day Grand Isle, Franklin, Chittenden, Addison, Rutland, the northern part of Bennington, and the western parts of Washington, Lamoille, and Orleans counties in Vermont. From 1877 to 1881 Vermont gave its former Charlotte County, New York land the name Bennington County, Vermont.
For records of Charlotte County in New York, see Washington County, New York. For records of Charlotte County in Vermont after 1777, see Bennington County, Vermont. Some pre-1777 records of people in what became Vermont may also be found at the New York State Archives in Albany, New York.
- Disputed Territory 1772-1777 Township map of New York's four counties in modern Vermont.
- Vermont Republic 1777-1781 Township map showing Vermont's two earliest counties.
- Vermont Republic 1781-1785 Township map of Vermont's five counties 1781-1785.
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Charlotte County, Province of New York" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_County,_Province_of_New_York (accessed 21 June 2011).
- ↑ Esther Munroe Swift, Vermont Place-Names: Footprints of History (Brattleboro, Vt.: Stephen Green Press, 1977), 18. WorldCat entry. FHL Book 974.3 E2s.
- ↑ Jalanne C. Barnes, "Vermont Republic 1777-1781" at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~vermontgenealogyresources/Maps/1777.jpg (accessed 21 June 2011).
- ↑ "Discontinued and Extinct New York Counties" in My New York Genealogy at http://www.mynewyorkgenealogy.com/ (accessed 11 October 2010).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News