Charlotte County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Line 109:||Line 109:|
Revision as of 20:41, 8 November 2011United States Virginia Virginia Genealogy Charlotte County Genealogy
- Main article: Charlotte County, Virginia
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Charlotte County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 70 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Charlotte County families include:
- Bouldin, Powhatan. The Old Trunk, or, Sketch of Colonial Days. 2nd ed. Danville, Va.: Blair & Boatwright, Printers, 1896. FHL Film 30775; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Charlotte County Heritage Book Committee. The Heritage of Charlotte County, Virginia 1765-2007. Waynesville, N.C.: County Heritage, 2007. FHL Collection 975.565 H2h
- Priddy, A.S. and Walter M. Priddy. Notes of Some of the Old Families on the Head Waters of Roanoke and Twitty's Creek and the Keysville Section of Charlotte County. Typescript, abt. 1910. Copy: FHL Film 1036740 Item 3; digital version at USGenWeb Archives.
- Pritchett, John W. Southside Virginia Genealogies. CD-ROM. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2007. Free online index, courtesy: Virginians - The Family History of John W. Pritchett. [Includes a great deal of information about residents of Charlotte County, see discussion of cited sources.] FHL US/CAN CD-ROM no. 3887. Purchase at Virginians.com.
- Steltzner, Mildred White, Virginia Frances Jordan Bloomfield and Fort Wayne Public Library. Hunting for Ancestors by Mildred W. Steltzner: A Genealogy Column in the Charlotte Gazette, Drakes Branch, Virginia. 3 vols. Fort Wayne, Ind.: Allen County Public Library, 1977-1978. FHL Collection 975.565/D1 B3s
- [Adams] Adams, Gordon S. and Lona Odell Adams Fletcher Seitz. An Adams Family of Virginia, 1800 to Present: The Descendants of Samuel Adams and Tamson Ann Dix Adams of Pennsylvania, Halifax and Charlotte Counties, Virginia. Sunnyvale, Calif.: G. Adams, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 Ad17ags
- [Alexander] Mitchell--Price--Zachary--Middlebrook, Family Records and Papers, ca. 1750-1883. MSS. Microfilmed 1961: FHL Film 262731 Item 6
- [Barksdale] Hubert, Sarah Donelson. Genealogy of Part of the Barksdale Family of America. Atlanta, Ga.: Franklin Printing and Publishing, 1895. FHL Film 1015831 Item 7; digital version at Family History Archives; 1912 copy: FHL Film 288405
- [Barksdale] Anderson, Grant James. Genealogy in Part, of the Fletcher-Crowder-Tucker Families. Westminster, Texas: G.J. Anderson, 1909. FHL Book 929.273 F633a; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Barksdale] Gore, Walter M. and Ethel du Pont Barksdale. History, Genealogical - Biographical, of the Barksdale - du Pont and Allied Families. New York: American Historical Society, 1922. FHL Film 1402855
- [Beasley] Bosiger, Carolyn F. Family History, Charlotte County, VA, William Dennis Beasley, Mildred Fillmore Whitworth Beasley. FHL Book 929.273 B38bc; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Blanks] Wilson, John H. The Blanks Family. 2 vols. El Paso, Texas: J.H. Wilson, 1971-1982. FHL Book 929.273 B611bc
- [Boian] Edwards, Eva Dean Boian. Boians of Kentucky. Irvine, Ky.: E.D.B. Edwards, c1995. FHL Book 929.273 B635e
- [Booker] Booker, Lyle, Clara Glendenin Davis and D.A.R. Bland Ballard Chapter (Eminence, Ky.). Family of Richard Maret Booker, (1751-1850) of Charlotte County, Virginia and Bible Records. Typescript, 1949. FHL Film 858787 Item 2
- [Burt] Broughton, Richard. Descendants of Mathew Burt. Cave City, Ariz.: R. Broughton, 199-?. FHL Book 929.273 B95br; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Caldwell] Miller, Samuel. An Address on the Dedication of a Monument Erected to the Memory of the Rev. James Caldwell: Formerly Pastor of the Said Church, Who Fell by the Hand of an Assassin, November 24th, 1781, Delivered in the First Presbyterian Church in Elizabeth-town, N.J. 1846. FHL Fiche 6052582; digital versions at Ancestry ($)
- [Caldwell] Anderson, Marie Loraine Epps. Caldwell. College Station, Texas: Mrs. J.Q. Anderson, 1959. FHL Film 1320836 Item 27
- [Callicott] Callicoat, Jewel M. Callicott Connections II: Callicott, Callicoat, Callicotte, Calicott, Calicoat, Calicotte, Collicutt, Burcham, Colcott, Sowards, Corn, Simpson, Kingery, Null, Harmon, Dillon, McMahan, Pinkerman, Roach, Others. St. Petersburg, Fla.: Genealogy Computer Service, 1986. FHL Book 929.273 C133c v. 2
- [Chaffin] Chaffin, Charles Weldon, Lola Sherrod Chaffin, and W. LaJean Chaffin. Chaffin, Leonidas Coleman: His Ancestors and Descendants. Austin, Texas: C.W. Chaffin, 1987. FHL Book 929.273 C346cc
- [Chisholm] Balmer, Malcolm V. Chisholm-Chisum Family Records. Typescript. Microfilmed 1974: FHL Film 962829 Item 6
- [Clayton] Calyton, William A. Southern Heritage: A Clayton Genealogy. Baltimore, Md.: Gateway Press, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 C579cw
- [Collier] Boss, Lula Reed. Captain Thomas Collier of Charlotte County, Virginia, Including Records of Mason County, Kentucky. MSS., microfilmed by the University of Kentucky, 1956. FHL Film 157151 Item 2
- [Cox] Cox, Idris Jacob and Dorisha Jane Cox Chargualaf. Our Cox Family History. Knoxville, Tenn.: I.J. Cox, 1999. FHL Book 929.273 C839ci
- [Deavenport] Deavenport, 1766-1926. 1926. FHL Fiche 6005053
- [Deupree] The Mixing of Brother William Deupree & Sister Nanny Deupree's Families: Via (1) Crenshaw, (2) Knott. FHL US/CAN Pedigree File no. 2263
- [Elam] Lane, Bryte Elam. Dr. Anderson Samuel Elam: His Ancestors and His Descendants. Typescript. Microfilmed 1978: FHL Film 1036920 Item 2
- [Elliott] Marshall, Thomas E. Robert Elliott, -ca. 1786, of Prince Edward County, Virginia. Bedford, Va.: T.E. Marshall, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 531
- [Farish] Key, Marcus M., F. Paul Farish, and John Frederick Dorman. "Capt. Farish's Near Hanging and Notes on the Charlottesville Farishes," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 24, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1980):283-286. FHL Book; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Farris] McGauhey, John Farris. A Partial Genealogy of the Farris Family. 1987-1988. FHL Book 929.273 F249m
- [Featherston] Macdonald, Margaret T. "Beware of the Charlotte County, Virginia, Marriage Bonds: The Featherston Family," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 23, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1979):3-7. FHL Book; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Foster] Martindale, Donald L. Some Descendants of George Foster of Charlotte CO., VA, 1695-1997 Emphasizing Three Foster Families (James, Allen, and Singlton) Who Migrated from Union County, South Carolina to Yell County, Arkansas in 1842. Roanoke, Va.: D.L. Martindale, 1998. FHL Collection 929.273 F811m
- [Franklin] Marshall, Thomas E. Family of Robert Franklin of Charlotte County, Va. Bedford, Va.: T. Marshall, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 F854m
- [Fuqua] Irwin, Alya Dean. Fuqua -- A Fight for Freedom. Houston, Texas: A.D.S. Irwin, 1974. FHL Book 929.273 F965i.
- [Fuqua] Porter, Howard Leonard. Fuqua Family Genealogical Data, 1736-1880. MSS. Microfilmed 1987: FHL Film 1320635 Item 45.
- [Hamblen] Hamblen, Armeanous Porter. A History of the Hamblen and Allied Families. Franklin, Ind.: Franklin Democrat, 1940. FHL Book 929.273 H181h
- [Hamblen] Hamblen, Armeanous Porter and John W. Hamblen. The Hamblen and Allied Families. Rolla, Mo.: J.W. Hamblen, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 H181h 1984
- [Hancock] Marshall, Thomas E. Some Descendants of Anthony Hancock and Son Martin Hancock of Red House, Virginia. Bedford, Va.: T.E. Marshall III, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 H191m
- [Harlee] Harllee, William Curry and Bessie B. Pryor. Kinfolks: A Genealogical and Biographical Record of Thomas and Elizabeth (Stuart) Harllee; Andrew and Agnes (Cade) Fulmore; Benjamin and Mary Curry; Samuel and Amelia (Russell) Kemp; John and Hannah (Walker) Bethea; Sterling Clack and Frances (King) Robertson; Samuel and Sophia Ann (Parker) Dickey; Their Antecedents, Descendants and Collateral Relatives; with [a] Chapter Concerning State and County Records and the Derivation of Counties of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia / prepared and published by William Curry Harllee, assisted by numerous collaborators. 4 vols. New Orleans, La.: Searcy & Pfaff, 1934-1937. FHL Book 929.273 H226hw v. 1-v. 3, index.
- [Harvey] Cawyer, Shirley Katherine Brittain, Vermell Anderson Brust, and Carol Young Knight. Harvey and Allied Families of Louisiana and Texas. Stephenville, Texas: S.B. Cawyer, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 H262cs
- [Hazelwood] White, Norma Elnora Kidd. James P. and Sarah Hazelwood and Elijah and Fanny Hazelwood Duggin. South Gate, Calif.: N.E.K. White, 1987. FHL Collection
- [Herndon] Herndon, John Goodwin. The Herndon Family of Virginia. Multi-vol. Philadelphia, Pa.: Engineers Publishing, c1947-c1952. FHL Book 929.273 H431h
- [Hines] Hines, James Davis and J. Adger Stewart. Descendants of Henry Hines, Sr., 1732-1810. Louisville, Ky.: John P. Morton, 1925. FHL Book 929.273 H589hjd
- [Howle] Lauer, Edna Howl. Howl and Cowan Families. Typescript, 1967. FHL Book 929.273 H843L
- [Hunter] Marshall, Thomas E. Family of John Hunter, Sr. of Charlotte County, Va. Bedford, Va.: T. Marshall, 1992. FHL Collection 929.273 H917m
- [Jennings] Robert Jennings (Senior). Typescript. Library of Virginia. Genealogical Notes [Collection] Box 6, Jen. FHL Film 29885 Item 1
- [Jordan] Jordan, Paul R. Some Charles and James Jordans, Born in Virginia 1790-1848: and Their Families. Lawrence, Kan.: P.R. Jordan, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 J761jp
- [Maddox] Maddox, William H. and Florence Spring Maddox. Nathan Maddox and Family. Typescript, National Library, D.A.R. Microfilmed 1971: FHL Film 876556 Items 1-2
- [Marshall] John Marshall Journal, 1856-1857. MSS. Microfilmed 1945: FHL Film 517278 Items 3-4
- [Marshall] Marshall, Thomas E. Family of John Wilkins Marshall, No. 1, of Charlottte County, Va.: Some Descendants of Sons. 4 vols. Bedford, Va.: T.E. Marshall, 1988-. FHL Book 929.273 M355ma
- [Mason] Mason, Lawrence N. Up from Turnip Creek the Mason Family of Campbell-Charlotte County, Virginia: The Ancestors and Descendants of John Norman Mason. Arlington, Va.: L.N. Mason, 1979. FHL Collection 929.273 M381mL
- [Morton] Pollock, Michael E. The Mortons of Southside Virginia: A Study of the Ancestry of Dorothea Mary Leta Morton Albritton and Other Mortons in Charlotte, Prince Edward and Other Counties. 1984. FHL Book 929.273 M846pm; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Moseley] Forsythe, Warren L. "Resolving Conflict between Records: A Spurious Moseley Bible," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 84, No. 3 (September 1996):182-199. FHL Book 973 B2ng
- [Nash] Nash, Claude Witten. Some Nashes of Virginia: Two Hundred Years of an American Family, 1774-1974. Radford, Va.: Commonwealth Press, 1975. FHL Book 929.273 N177n
- [Osborn] Osborn, Donald Lewis. Genealogy of Edward and Sarah (Burchett) Osborn of Floyd County, Kentucky. Lee's Summit, Mo., 1970. FHL Book 929.273 Os1odL.
- [Osborne] Harrell, Elizabeth Jean. The Osbornes and Related Families; Jones, Worsham, Fowlkes, Robertson and Gayle. Los Altos, Calif.: B. Harrell, c1983. FHL Book 929.273 Os1h
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Page Family Records in Virginia Counties. 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 1982-2006. FHL Book 929.273 P141rdc v. 2 [Charlotte County appears in Vol. 2 Part 2]
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. The Page Family in Virginia Personal Property Taxes (1782-1850). 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 P141rd v. 1-2 [Charlotte County appears in Vol. 1]
- [Pattillo] Jones, James Logan (Mrs.). The Pattillo Family and Their Descendants. Macon, Ga.: J.W. Burke Col., 1800s. FHL Film 420
- [Pettus] Duke, Walter Garland. Henry Duke, Councilor, His Descendants and Connections. Richmond, Va.: Dietz Press, 1949. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Book 929.273 D885d.
- [Prewitt] Gottschalk, Kathrine Cox. Ancestry of Nancy Powell Hawkins (Mrs. William Beverly Hawkins), 434 Erie Ave., Sheboygan, Wisconsin. Typescript, National Library, D.A.R. Microfilmed 1971: FHL Film 854138 Item 1
- [Prewitt] Prewitt, Richard A. Isham Prewitt of Virginia. Grimes, Iowa: R.A. Prewitt, 1979. FHL Book 929.273 P929pra
- [Read] Eggleston, J. D. Distinguished Descendants of Colonel Clement Read and Bushy Forest and Other Charlotte County Homes of the Early Reads: Two Addresses. unknown: unknown, 1932. Digital version available at Ancestry ($).
- [Rogers] Leppert, Ruth Margaret Patton. Ezekiel Rogers, 1764-1811: A Soldier of the Revolution and His Descendants. Typescript, National Library, D.A.R. Microfilmed 1972: FHL Film 907988 Item 3
- [Skelton] Skelton, Earl F. "The Skeltons of Colonial Virginia," Tidewater Virginia Families: A Magazine of History and Genealogy, Vol. 3, No. 2 (August/September 1994):86-100; Vol. 3, No. 3 (November/December 1994):151-162. FHL Collection 975.51 D25t
- [Snell] Marshall, Thomas E. The Family of Brothers, Bezer and Noble Snell of Red House, Virginia, Charlotte County. Bedford, Va.: T.E. Marshall, 1994. FHL Collection 929.273 A1 no. 528
- [Spencer] Reitz, Elva Griffith and Louis Powers Reitz. Griffin-Sexton, Cooper-Adkins, Spencer-Tate, McCammon-Bland Families of Kansas: and Their Antecedents in Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Virginia and New York. Sun City, Ariz.: Privately printed, 1979. FHL Film 1305296 Item 4
- [Spencer] Spencer and Allied Families in North Carolina and Virginia (Halifax, Person, Granville, Pittsylvania, Mecklenburg and Charlotte Counties): Genealogy Family Charts for the Following Names, Spencer, Ingram, Yancey, Davis, Burch, Slaughter, Lyon, Clark, Hughes, Anderson, Jeter, Woody, Warren, Clayton and Gill. Wendell, N.C.: W.F. Spencer, 1984. FHL Collection 929.273 Sp33sw
- [Spencer] Spencer, Delbert Lewis. The Descendants of James Robertson Spencer (1761-1851). 1995. FHL Book 929.273 Sp33sjr
- [Sublette] Sublette, Robert E. Sublett(e) Family. Typescript. Microfilmed 1979: FHL Film 1036314 Item 29
- [Sullivan] Sullivan, William Dunklin. History of the Sullivan Family. 1913. FHL Film 954252 Item 7
- [Walton] Gottschalk, Kathrine Cox. The Walton Family of Virginia Abstracts from County Court Houses in Virginia. Typescript, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Va. Genealogical Notes [Collection] Box 16, Walt. FHL 29889 Item 2
- [Watkins] Watkins, Francis N. A Catalogue of the Descendants of Thomas Watkins of Chickahomony, Virginia Who was the Common Ancestor of Many of the Families of the Name in Prince Edward, Charlotte and Chesterfield Counties, Virginia. Virginia: F.N. Watkins, 1852. FHL Collection 1036817 Item 14; digital version at Internet Archive.
- [Watkins] Priddy, Walter M. Some Data Covering Descendants of William Watkins, Born 1690. Typescript. Microfilmed 1975: FHL Film 908716 Item 8
- [Watkins] Watkins, Raymond W. Watkins Genealogy from Records in Charlotte County, Virginia. MSS. Microfilmed 1978. FHL Collection 1036067 Item 5
- [West] West, Hoke Holland. What is in a Name? West: The Life of a Family, a People, Their History, Their Homes, Their Lands and Their Hopes, Their Labors and Their Courage, Their Faith, Their Devotion and Their Loyalty, Their Love and Their Dreams. Gallatin, Tenn.: Quality Printing, 1970. FHL Book 929.273 W52a
- [West] "West Genealogical Materials from Charlotte County, Virginia," in Letta Brock Stone and Leonardo Andrea, West Genealogical Research, 1550-1950. MSS. Microfilmed 1987: FHL Film 1421739 Item 5
- [Wheeler] Marshall, Thomas E. Family of John Wheeler, Sr. of Charlotte County, Va. Bedford, Va.: T.E. Marshall, 1991. FHL Collection 929.273 W561m
- [Whitwell] Malone, Royleta Clopton. Thomas Whitwell and His Descendants, 1750-2002: Other Surnames Anderson, Bates, Moore, Murray, Randel, Ward and Others. Bountiful, Utah: Family History Publishers, c2002. FHL Book 929.273 W619mr
- [Wilks] Johnston, Doris Ross Brock. Wilks and Young Families, Texas Pioneers: Maternal Lines, Pfeiffer, Whitesides, Mead, Newman, Marrs, Kerr. Irving, Texas: D.R.B. Johnston, 1984. FHL Book 929.273 W659j
- [Woods] Woods, Weightsill Arno. A Short History of Descendants and Allied Families of Robert Woods of Ireland. Versailles, Mo.: W.W. Kinloch, 1909. FHL Book 929.273 W866a; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Woods] Wood, John A. Woods and Others in Bath County, Va. and Elsewhere. Cambridge, Mass.: J.A. Wood, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 W85wja
- [Worthy] McCoslin, Leon Dwane and Earnest Lynn McCoslin. The McCoslin and Worthy Families, Descendants of Henry Houston McCoslin and Martin Worthy Sr. n.p.: L.D. & E.L. McCoslin, c1999. FHL Book 929.273 M137mde; digital version at Family History Archives.