Charlotte County, Virginia Compiled GenealogiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Main article: Charlotte County, Virginia
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- Bouldin, Powhatan. The Old Trunk, or, Sketch of Colonial Days. 2nd ed. Danville, Va.: Blair & Boatwright, Printers, 1896. FHL Film 30775; digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Charlotte County Heritage Book Committee. The Heritage of Charlotte County, Virginia 1765-2007. Waynesville, N.C.: County Heritage, 2007. FHL Collection 975.565 H2h
- Priddy, A.S. and Walter M. Priddy. Notes of Some of the Old Families on the Head Waters of Roanoke and Twitty's Creek and the Keysville Section of Charlotte County. Typescript, abt. 1910. Copy: FHL Film 1036740 Item 3; digital version at USGenWeb Archives.
- Pritchett, John W. Southside Virginia Genealogies. CD-ROM. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2007. Free online index, courtesy: Virginians - The Family History of John W. Pritchett. [Includes a great deal of information about residents of Charlotte County, see discussion of cited sources.] FHL US/CAN CD-ROM no. 3887. Purchase at Virginians.com.
- Steltzner, Mildred White, Virginia Frances Jordan Bloomfield and Fort Wayne Public Library. Hunting for Ancestors by Mildred W. Steltzner: A Genealogy Column in the Charlotte Gazette, Drakes Branch, Virginia. 3 vols. Fort Wayne, Ind.: Allen County Public Library, 1977-1978. FHL Collection 975.565/D1 B3s
- [Adams] Adams, Gordon S. and Lona Odell Adams Fletcher Seitz. An Adams Family of Virginia, 1800 to Present: The Descendants of Samuel Adams and Tamson Ann Dix Adams of Pennsylvania, Halifax and Charlotte Counties, Virginia. Sunnyvale, Calif.: G. Adams, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 Ad17ags
- [Beasley] Bosiger, Carolyn F. Family History, Charlotte County, VA, William Dennis Beasley, Mildred Fillmore Whitworth Beasley. FHL Book 929.273 B38bc; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Booker] Booker, Lyle, Clara Glendenin Davis and D.A.R. Bland Ballard Chapter (Eminence, Ky.). Family of Richard Maret Booker, (1751-1850) of Charlotte County, Virginia and Bible Records. Typescript, 1949. FHL Film 858787 Item 2
- [Burt] Broughton, Richard. Descendants of Mathew Burt. Cave City, Ariz.: R. Broughton, 199-?. FHL Book 929.273 B95br; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Collier] Boss, Lula Reed. Captain Thomas Collier of Charlotte County, Virginia, Including Records of Mason County, Kentucky. MSS., microfilmed by the University of Kentucky, 1956. FHL Film 157151 Item 2
- [Elliott] Marshall, Thomas E. Robert Elliott, -ca. 1786, of Prince Edward County, Virginia. Bedford, Va.: T.E. Marshall, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 531
- [Farish] Key, Marcus M., F. Paul Farish, and John Frederick Dorman. "Capt. Farish's Near Hanging and Notes on the Charlottesville Farishes," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 24, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1980):283-286. FHL Book; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
- [Featherston] Macdonald, Margaret T. "Beware of the Charlotte County, Virginia, Marriage Bonds: The Featherston Family," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 23, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1979):3-7. FHL Book; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
- [Foster] Martindale, Donald L. Some Descendants of George Foster of Charlotte CO., VA, 1695-1997 Emphasizing Three Foster Families (James, Allen, and Singlton) Who Migrated from Union County, South Carolina to Yell County, Arkansas in 1842. Roanoke, Va.: D.L. Martindale, 1998. FHL Collection 929.273 F811m
- [Franklin] Marshall, Thomas E. Family of Robert Franklin of Charlotte County, Va. Bedford, Va.: T. Marshall, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 F854m
- [Harlee] Harllee, William Curry and Bessie B. Pryor. Kinfolks: A Genealogical and Biographical Record of Thomas and Elizabeth (Stuart) Harllee; Andrew and Agnes (Cade) Fulmore; Benjamin and Mary Curry; Samuel and Amelia (Russell) Kemp; John and Hannah (Walker) Bethea; Sterling Clack and Frances (King) Robertson; Samuel and Sophia Ann (Parker) Dickey; Their Antecedents, Descendants and Collateral Relatives; with [a] Chapter Concerning State and County Records and the Derivation of Counties of Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Virginia / prepared and published by William Curry Harllee, assisted by numerous collaborators. 4 vols. New Orleans, La.: Searcy & Pfaff, 1934-1937. FHL Book 929.273 H226hw v. 1-v. 3, index.
- [Hunter] Marshall, Thomas E. Family of John Hunter, Sr. of Charlotte County, Va. Bedford, Va.: T. Marshall, 1992. FHL Collection 929.273 H917m
- [Maddox] Maddox, William H. and Florence Spring Maddox. Nathan Maddox and Family. Typescript, National Library, D.A.R. Microfilmed 1971: FHL Film 876556 Items 1-2
- [Marshall] Marshall, Thomas E. Family of John Wilkins Marshall, No. 1, of Charlottte County, Va.: Some Descendants of Sons. 4 vols. Bedford, Va.: T.E. Marshall, 1988-. FHL Book 929.273 M355ma
- [Mason] Mason, Lawrence N. Up from Turnip Creek the Mason Family of Campbell-Charlotte County, Virginia: The Ancestors and Descendants of John Norman Mason. Arlington, Va.: L.N. Mason, 1979. FHL Collection 929.273 M381mL
- [Morton] Pollock, Michael E. The Mortons of Southside Virginia: A Study of the Ancestry of Dorothea Mary Leta Morton Albritton and Other Mortons in Charlotte, Prince Edward and Other Counties. 1984. FHL Collection 929.273 M846pm
- [Moseley] Forsythe, Warren L. "Resolving Conflict between Records: A Spurious Moseley Bible," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 84, No. 3 (September 1996):182-199. FHL Book 973 B2ng
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Page Family Records in Virginia Counties. 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 1982-2006. FHL Book 929.273 P141rdc v. 2 [Charlotte County appears in Vol. 2 Part 2]
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. The Page Family in Virginia Personal Property Taxes (1782-1850). 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 P141rd v. 1-2 [Charlotte County appears in Vol. 1]
- [Prewitt] Prewitt, Richard A. Isham Prewitt of Virginia. Grimes, Iowa: R.A. Prewitt, 1979. FHL Book 929.273 P929pra
- [Read] Eggleston, J. D. Distinguished Descendants of Colonel Clement Read and Bushy Forest and Other Charlotte County Homes of the Early Reads: Two Addresses. unknown: unknown, 1932. Digital version available at Ancestry ($).
- [Skelton] Skelton, Earl F. "The Skeltons of Colonial Virginia," Tidewater Virginia Families: A Magazine of History and Genealogy, Vol. 3, No. 2 (August/September 1994):86-100; Vol. 3, No. 3 (November/December 1994):151-162. FHL Collection 975.51 D25t
- [Snell] Marshall, Thomas E. The Family of Brothers, Bezer and Noble Snell of Red House, Virginia, Charlotte County. Bedford, Va.: T.E. Marshall, 1994. FHL Collection 929.273 A1 no. 528
- [Spencer] Spencer and Allied Families in North Carolina and Virginia (Halifax, Person, Granville, Pittsylvania, Mecklenburg and Charlotte Counties): Genealogy Family Charts for the Following Names, Spencer, Ingram, Yancey, Davis, Burch, Slaughter, Lyon, Clark, Hughes, Anderson, Jeter, Woody, Warren, Clayton and Gill. Wendell, N.C.: W.F. Spencer, 1984. FHL Collection 929.273 Sp33sw
- [Spencer] Spencer, Delbert Lewis. The Descendants of James Robertson Spencer (1761-1851). 1995. FHL Book 929.273 Sp33sjr
- [Walton] Gottschalk, Kathrine Cox. The Walton Family of Virginia Abstracts from County Court Houses in Virginia. Typescript, Library of Virginia, Richmond, Va. Genealogical Notes [Collection] Box 16, Walt. FHL 29889 Item 2
- [Watkins] Watkins, Francis N. A Catalogue of the Descendants of Thomas Watkins of Chickahomony, Virginia Who was the Common Ancestor of Many of the Families of the Name in Prince Edward, Charlotte and Chesterfield Counties, Virginia. Virginia: F.N. Watkins, 1852. FHL Collection 1036817 Item 14; digital version at Internet Archive.
- [Watkins] Watkins, Raymond W. Watkins Genealogy from Records in Charlotte County, Virginia. MSS. Microfilmed 1978. FHL Collection 1036067 Item 5
- [Wheeler] Marshall, Thomas E. Family of John Wheeler, Sr. of Charlotte County, Va. Bedford, Va.: T.E. Marshall, 1991. FHL Collection 929.273 W561m
- [Woods] Woods, Weightsill Arno. A Short History of Descendants and Allied Families of Robert Woods of Ireland. Versailles, Mo.: W.W. Kinloch, 1909. FHL Book 929.273 W866a; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Woods] Wood, John A. Woods and Others in Bath County, Va. and Elsewhere. Cambridge, Mass.: J.A. Wood, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 W85wja