Cheltenham England Family History CentreEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Family History Centre article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Review the instructions and guidelines for FHC pages.
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Centre, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Cheltenham Family History Centre serves the public and LDS church units in Cheltenham and Gloucester plus all other church units in the LDS Cheltenham Stake that do not have their own Family History Centre.
Centre Contacts and Hours
LDS Chapel, Thirlestaine Road Cheltenham, GL53 7AS
- Church car park will be open during opening hours.
- Use the entrance at the car park side towards the rear of the building.
- 01242 523433 (during opening times)
- 07908 472506 - Stewart Millar, FHC Director
1st Wednesday and 1st Thursday of each month at the following times:
Wednesday: 2:00 - 5:30 pm and 7:00 - 9:30 pm - no appointment needed
Thursday: 7:30-9:30 pm - no appointment needed
The remainder of each month is available for bookigs by interested groups (4-12 people) or for those with ordered films.
- Closed - 1 August - 9 September and 5 December - 6 January 2015
Calendar and Events
Any of the following topics can be selected for booking a session at the FHC:
1. Understanding the Search facilities of FamilySearch and the partner web sites.
2. Adding photos & stories to Family Tree.
3. Preparing and creating documents that can be added to Family Tree.
4. Adding sources found in FamilySearch records to Family Tree.
5. Creating and adding your own sources to Family Tree.
6. Ways in which youth can help their own and other ward families – census/BMD searching, scanning, adding photos, sources, stories.
7. Useful additional software – image editing, word processing, pdf printers/viewers, screen capture etc.
8. Different ways of keeping a backup of your Family Tree data and sources.
9. How to start your family history.
10. Finding duplicates in Family Tree and understanding the merge process.
11. Understanding the temple list and submission process in Family Tree.
12. Understanding the Family Tree Source Box.
13. Editing, correcting and adding new data to Family Tree.
14. Research methodology for the first 200 years of English & Welsh family history.
15. Any family history topic of your own choice.
Contact the FHC Director - Stewart Millar to make a booking for up to three selected topics at the FHC - 07908 472506 / email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Staff Training Meetings
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
Databases and Software
- FHC Portal
These include: Ancestry, FindMyPast and the 19th Century British Library Newspaper Digital Archive plus other significant web sites.
- FamilySearch Record Collections -worldwide over 1,600 collections and 3.5 billion indexed names.
- FHC Portal
Hardware and Equipment
- Four computers with access to the FHC Portal.
- Scanner for scanning source documents and photographs.
- Two Microfilm Readers
- One Fiche Reader
Staff Research Specialties
- England & Wales research to 1700s.
- Use of FamilySearch Family Tree integrated with sources, photos, stories and documents.
Resources in the Local Area
Gloucestershire Family History Society
- Gloucestershire Family History Society
Family History Centre
Telephone: 01452 524344
- Clarence Row
Telephone:44 (0) 1452 425295
Volunteer at the Centre
Ideally require volunteers with good IT skills and a keen interest in family history.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News