Cherokee County, Alabama GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Alabama-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Cherokee County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||January 9, 1836|
Cherokee County Courthouse
100 Main Street,
Centre, AL 35960
Records burned in 1882 Probate Judge has marriage, probate,
land and military discharge records from 1882
1836--Cherokee County was created 9 January 1836 from the Cherokee Cession of 1835.
County seat: Centre 
1882 and 1895 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
Biographies of many notable residents of Cherokee County, Alabama Genealogy were published in Memorial Record of Alabama (1893). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Begins on page 635.
- Arrington Chapel Cemetery
- Bethel Church Cemetery
- Black Oak Cemetery
- Broomtown Cemetery
- Broomtown-Clark Family Cemetery
- Cedar Bluff Cemetery
- Cedar Bluff-Bankston Cemetery
- Centre-Weaver's Cemetery
- Davis Chapel Methodist Church Cemetery
- Goshen Valley Cemetery
- Henderson Hill Cemetery
- Jamestown-Moseley Cemetery
- Lawrence/Demaris Cemetery
- Lebanon Church of Christ Cemetery
- Piedmont-Taylor's Chapel Cemetery
- Salem Baptist Church Cemetery
- Sandy Springs-Sheepskin Cemetery
- Sardis Hill Baptist Church Cemetery
For tips on accessing Cherokee County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
|Cherokee County, Alabama|
|Sources: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml. through 1960|
Land and Property
To place a grant or deed on a map within context of Cherokee County, Alabama Genealogy see:
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Cherokee County, Alabama: with Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and More. Norman, Okla.: Arphax Pub. Co., 2007. This is a definitive work and can be used as an index to land grants. Digital version at HistoryGeo.com ($). Website includes free surname index. FHL Book 976.165 E7bg.
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cherokee County, Alabama Bible Records
- Cherokee County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cherokee County p. 35. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News