Cherokee County, Alabama GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries | Parent County|
|Cherokee County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||January 9, 1836|
County CourthouseCherokee County Courthouse
100 Main Street,
Centre, AL 35960
Records burned in 1882 Probate Judge has marriage, probate,
land and military discharge records from 1882
1836--Cherokee County was created 9 January 1836 from the Cherokee Cession of 1835.
County seat: Centre 
1882 and 1895 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
Biographies of many notable residents of Cherokee County, Alabama Genealogy were published in Memorial Record of Alabama (1893). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Begins on page 635.
- Arrington Chapel Cemetery
- Bethel Church Cemetery
- Black Oak Cemetery
- Broomtown Cemetery
- Broomtown-Clark Family Cemetery
- Cedar Bluff Cemetery
- Cedar Bluff-Bankston Cemetery
- Centre-Weaver's Cemetery
- Davis Chapel Methodist Church Cemetery
- Goshen Valley Cemetery
- Henderson Hill Cemetery
- Jamestown-Moseley Cemetery
- Lawrence/Demaris Cemetery
- Lebanon Church of Christ Cemetery
- Piedmont-Taylor's Chapel Cemetery
- Salem Baptist Church Cemetery
- Sandy Springs-Sheepskin Cemetery
- Sardis Hill Baptist Church Cemetery
- Cemetery Inscriptions Cherokee County, Alabama. 1964. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Includes Alexander Cemetery, Arrington Chapel Cemetery, Barnard Cemetery, Bethel Methodist Cemetery, Black Oak Church Cemetery, Cedar Hill Methodist Cemetery, Coffey Cemetery, Cothran Cemetery, Daniel Cemetery, Davis Chapel Cemetery, Dixon Chapel Cemetery, Goshen Cemetery, Hebron Methodist Cemetery, Hopewell Cemetery, Hopewell Advent Cemetery, Hunt's (or Brocks) Chapel Cemetery, Jamestown Cemetery, Kirks Grove Cemetery, Lebanon Church Cemetery, Lebanon Church Cemetery, Mackey Cemetery, McElrath Cemetery, Moshat Baptist Cemetery, Noah Baptist Cemetery, Mt. Lookout Cemetery, Mt. Olive Church Cemetery, Mt. Olive Church Cemetery, Mt. Zion Wesleyan Methodist Cemetery, Nazareth Church Cemetery, New Bethel Church Cemetery, Parker Grove Cemetery, Pleasant Hill Methodist Cemetery, Pleasant Hill Baptist Cemetery, Pratt Cemetery, Pleasant Valley Baptist Cemetery, Providence Baptist Cemetery, Salem Church Cemetery, Sand Rock Methodist Cemetery, Sardis Hill Missionary Baptist Cemetery, Sheppard Cemetery, Shiloh Baptist Cemetery, Smith Cemetery, Starling Cemetery, Story Cemetery, Tracy Cemetery, Tuckers Chapel Cemetery, Union Hill Methodist Cemetery, Weaver Cemetery, Welcome Hill Baptist Cemetery, and Yellow Creek Baptist Cemetery.
- Cemetery Records: Barbour County with Cherokee & Lawrence Counties Alabama, Vol. 3. 1966. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Includes Pleasant Hill Methodist Church Cemetery (Leesburg, Ala.).
Additional Cherokee County cemeteries are included in Alabama Cemetery Records Vol. 6 at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
For tips on accessing Cherokee County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
|Cherokee County, Alabama|
|Sources: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml. through 1960|
Land and Property
To place a grant or deed on a map within context of Cherokee County, Alabama Genealogy see:
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Cherokee County, Alabama: with Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and More. Norman, Okla.: Arphax Pub. Co., 2007. This is a definitive work and can be used as an index to land grants. Digital version at HistoryGeo.com ($). Website includes free surname index. FHL Book 976.165 E7bg.
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1830-1976 - Cherokee County, Alabama Genealogy Probate Records, 1830-1976 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1865-1866 - U.S. IRS Tax Assessment Lists, 1862-1918 at Ancestry ($). Cherokee County is in District 3.
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection. Incomplete.
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Cherokee County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cherokee County, Alabama Bible Records
- Cherokee County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cherokee County p. 35. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).