Chester County, South Carolina Compiled GenealogiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- Main article: Chester County, South Carolina
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Surname indexes to Leonardo Andrea's Files | Folders | Resources are available online, courtesy: The Andrea Files: South Carolina Genealogical Research. Learn more.
Genealogies about several Chester County families are kept at the Winthrop College Archives and Special Collections in Rock Hill, S.C.
Several Chester County families are discussed in the following collections:
- Hartness, George Bowman. By Ship, Wagon, and Foot to York County, S.C. Columbia, S.C.: G.B. Hartness, 1966. FHL 975.743 D2h ["A compilation of historical information on the following families who were among the earliest white settlers of York, Chester, Winnsboro, and Kershaw Counties, South Carolina: Hartness, Ash, Burris, Bowen, Whitley, Mitchell, Carson, Thomas, Neil, Irvin, Chesnut, Curley, Sutton, McClain, Waggoner, Eakins, Johnsey, and including a chapter on the Hartness family who settled in New York State."]
- Myer, Lois C. Descendants of Dr. Alexander Rosborough and Mary Hemphill in Chester Co., South Carolina: Descendants of James Strong and Elizabeth of Chester Co. South Carolina; Descendants of James Brice and Jane Wilson of Antrim Co. Ireland and Fairfield Co., South Carolina; Descendants of Andrew Hemphill and Isabelle McKeown of Chester Co., South Carolina; Descendants of William Maffatt and Barbara Chesnut of Chester Co. South Carolina; Descendants of James Knox and Elizabeth Craig of Tennessee; Descendants of William Gaston and Miss Lemon of Clough Water, Ireland and Chester Co., South Carolina; More Roseborough and Gaston Family Records. Typescript. Microfilmed 1969. FHL 599428
- Chester County, SC Family History and Genealogy Message Board (Ancestry)
- Chester County, SC Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- [Allen] Allen--Osborn--Alley, and Connected Families, Census Records, 1850-1870. Typescript, 1937. FHL Film 1597818 Item 8.
- [Archer] Archer and Allied Families, ca. 1727-1960. MSS. Microfilmed 1986: FHL Vault US/CAN Film 1435481.
- [Barnett] Wear, Kyle. "Proposed Ancestry and Extended Family of William Barnett," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 36, No. 3 (Summer 2008):123-138. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 36
- [Beard] Beard, H. Chris. Descendants of Aaron Beard and Kizziah Carter Beard. Chalmette, La.: H.C. Beard, 1984. FHL Book 929.273 B38bh.
- [Boyd] Perry, Max. The Descendants of the Robert Boyd and the Charles Boyd Families of Chester County, South Carolina. Midland, Texas: M. Perry, 1987. FHL Book 929.273 B692p
- [Combest] Covington, Lerlene Rowell. John Combest and His Descendants. Wolfe City, Texas: Henington Pub., 1987. FHL Book 929.273 C732cL.
- [Combest] Smith, H. Jane and Patricia J. Olmstead. Samuel Combest and His Descendants. Elgin, Ill.: H.J.B. Smith and P.O. Olmstead, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 C732s.
- [Cooper] Parker, Elmer Oris. "The Cooper-Amberson Connection," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 13, No. 3 (Summer 1985):130-134. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 13
- [Cooper] Parker, Elmer Oris. "Cooper-Amberson Family Connection Update," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 16, No. 4 (Fall 1988):222. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 16
- [Crawford] Veach, Mary Frances Thomas. Sorting the Waxhaw Crawfords a Compendium of Research on the Crawfords & Related Families Starting Out in the Counties of York, Chester, & Lancaster, South Carolina Before the Revolution. Elverta, Calif.: M. Veach, 1993. FHL 929.273 C856v; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Cureton] Perry, Max. Descendants of the Cureton Families of York and Chester Counties of South Carolina: Including Genealogical Briefs of the Stewart, Webb and Heath Families. Midland, Texas: M. Perry, 2001. FHL 929.273 C923p
- [Davison] Wells, Laurence K. "William Davison of York County, S.C., 1779," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 60, No. 3 (Sep. 1972):163-168. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 60
- [Edwards] Stevens, Robert J. and William Henry Edwards. Captain Bill: The Records and Writings of Captain William Henry Edwards (and Others), Company A, 17th Regiment, South Carolina Volunteers, Confederate States of America, a History and Genealogy of Chester County, S.C. in Five Volumes. 5 vols. Richburg, S.C.: Chester District Genealogical Society, 1985. FHL 975.747 H2s
- [Faris] Faris, David. The Faris Family of Washington County, Indiana: A Genealogy of the Descendants of William Farrie; Born in County Antrim, Ireland about the Year 1745; Settled on Rocky Creek, Chester County, South Carolina in 1772; Died as William Faries on Turkey Creek, York County, South Carolina in 1805: Including the Principal Families of Baird, Devinney, Ervin, Faries, Faris, Finley, Loudon, McIntyre, Martin, Steuart, Taggart, Tippin & Woods. Philadelphia, Pa.: D. Faris, 1984. FHL 929.273 F228fd
- [Fee] Pearson, Ralph E. William Fee and Family with Index. Austin, Texas: R.E. Pearson, 198-. FHL Book 929.273 F32pr.
- [Fee] Curtis, Oscar F. Research File: Orr--Fee and Allied Families. Microfilmed 1989. FHL Film 1638488 Item 36.
- [Fee] Fee Family Bible Records, ca. 1785-1887. Typescript. Microfilmed 1989. FHL Film 1638488 Item 36.
- [Ferguson] Paulus, Maud A. Shields/McElhannon Families, Neely/Ferguson Families, Faris/Lusk/Whitside Families. Typescript. FHL Book 976.4 D2c.
- [Franklin] Franklin, Jesse Edward. The Family and Ancestry of Sims Kelly Franklin and Margaret Virginia Chapman Franklin. Wolfe City, Texas: Henington Pub., 1973. FHL Book 929.273 F854b.
- [Gill] Hendleman, James Aaron. Southern Gill Genealogy -- Gill Branch Primary Limbs, Gill, Greer (Grierson--MacGregor), Pollard and Douglas. Annandale, Va.: J.A. Hendleman, Jr., 1982. FHL Book 929.273 G41hj.
- [Graham] Kell, Katherine Tolle and Philip James Graham. David Graham of Chester County, South Carolina and His Descendants, 1772-1989. Birmingham, Mich.: K.T. Kell, 1990. FHL 929.273 G76k
- [Hamilton] Hamilton, Joseph Christie. Through Hamilton. Marissa, Ill.: Marissa Historical & Genealogical Society, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 H18hjc.
- [Harbison] Harbison, Milford W. James Harbison (1739-1825) Genealogy. MSS. Microfilmed 1977. FHL Film 982438 Item 2.
- [Harper] Reynolds, Troy Harper. Robert Harper, Revolutionary Soldier of Catholic Presbyterian Church, Chester, South Carolina, 1742-1801. 1980. FHL Film 1318194 Item 3
- [Howton] Surrock, Lester E. Howton Family Documents. 2 vols. Montgomery, Ala.: L.E. Surrock, 1989. FHL Film 1674903 Items 1-2.
- [Hudson] Hudson, Joshua Hilary. Sketches and Reminiscences. Columbia, S.C.: State Co., 1903. FHL Vault US/CAN Film 1689437 Item 2; digital version at Google Books.
- [Humphries] Humphries, John D. Georgia Descendants of Nathaniel Pope of Virginia, John Humphries of South Carolina and Allen Gay of North Carolina. Atlanta, Ga.: J.D. Humphries, 1934. FHL Book 929.273 P81h.
- [Humphries] "Charles Humphries of Virginia, North Carolina and South Carolina," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 7, No. 3 (Summer 1979):188-190. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 7
- [Humphries] Holcomb, Brent H. and Katherine L. Hester. Ancestors and Descendants of Charles Humphries (d. 1837) of Union District, South Carolina, 1677-1984. Including Records from Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Other States. Columbia, S.C.: B.H. Holcomb, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 H889hb.
- [Humphries] Herreid, Charlene Humphries. "Richard Humphries of Union District and Some of His Descendants," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 36, No. 2 (Spring 2008):71-75. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 36
- [Humphries] Herreid, Charlene Humphries. "A Tale of Two Charners," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 38, No. 2 (Spring 2010):71-78. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 38
- [Kelsey] Kelsey, Mavis P. and Mary Randolph Wilson Kelsey. Samuel Kelso/Kelsey, 1720-1796, Scotch-Irish Immigrant and Revolutionary Patriot of Chester County, South Carolina, His Origin, Descendants and Related Families Including Newly Published Information on Mills, Gill, Pagan, Wylie, Morrow, Jones, Sealy, Jaggers, Reeves, Mauldin, Moore, Stevenson, McAlexander and Other Families: with Membership Register (1837-1947) and Tombstone Inscriptions of the Wesley Methodist Chapel, Red Banks, Marshall County, Mississippi. Houston, Texas: M.P. Kelsey, 1984. FHL Book 929.273 K299km
- [Kirkpatrick] Kirkpatrick, Melvin E. and David Hudson. A Kirkpatrick Genealogy: Being an Account of the Descendants of the Family of James Kirkpatrick of South Carolina, ca. 1715-1786. Coalville, Iowa: D. Hudson, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 K363k.
- [Knox] Petersen, Lorene K. and Jennie Jane Belle Lyle. Knox--James Knox, Sr. and Elizabeth Craig Knox and Their Descendants. Pinedale, Ariz.: A.L. & L.K. Petersen, 1984. FHL Book 929.273 K773p.
- [Lacey] Moore, Maurice Augustus. The Life of Gen. Edward Lacey: With a List of Battles and Skirmishes in South Carolina During the Revolutionary War. Spartanburg, S.C.: Douglass, Evins & Co., 1859. FHL Book 1550788 Item 9.
- [Lacey] Draper, Lyman C. King's Mountain and Its Heroes. Cincinnati: Peter G. Thomson, Publishers, 1881. Pages 463-464. Digital version at Google Books.
- [Lacey] Owen, Thomas McAdory. A Genealogy of the Lacey Family. Carrollton, Ala.: West Alabamian Printing, 1900. FHL Film 1012620 Item 3; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Lacey] Owen, Thomas McAdory. "Colonel Edward Lacey of the Revolution and Some of His Descendants," The Gulf States Historical Magazine, Vol. 1 (July 1902):41-44. Digital version at Google Books.
- [Land] Land Family of Louisiana and Its Various Branches, 1765-1935. Typescript, 1935? FHL Fiche 6010273.
- [Little] "Death Comes Suddenly to S.W. Little, Coal Operator," Journal News, (Evansville, Ind.), 28 Sep 1907. Willard Library; copy: FHL Film 1481375 Item 25
- [Lynn] Lynn, E. Elizabeth. Descendants of John (Linn) Lynn, County Antrim, Ireland and Chester County, South Carolina, 1738-1830. Montreat, N.C.: E.E. Lynn, 1983. FHL 929.273 L993Le
- [McAliley] Hook, John H. The Hook/White Notebook: A Family History and Genealogy for the Descendants of Charles and Mabel Hook. St. Petersburg, Fla.: J.H. Hook, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 H763hj.
- [McCreary] McCreary, Richard A. The McCrearys of Barnwell County, S.C. Columbia, S.C.: R.A. McCreary, 1991. FHL Book 929.273 M137ma.
- [McDuff] McDuff, Raymond Milton. The Clan McDuff: Descendants of Captain Daniel McDuff, 1757-1831, and William McDuff, American Revolutionary Patriots. Bastrop, La.: R.M. McDuff, 1984. FHL Film 1321046 Item 9.
- [McFadden] Skinner, William Thomas. A McFadden Chronology, 1710-1900. Matthews, N.C.: W.T. Skinner, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 M161s.
- [McFadden] Croom, Emily Anne. Isaac McFadden Descendants. Bellaire, Texas: E.A. Croom, 1987. FHL Book 929.273 M161c.
- [McFadden] Skinner, William Thomas. Descendants of Ulster: McFadden Settlers of Chester County, South Carolina 1710-2004. Charlotte, N.C.: W.T. Skinner, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 M161sw
- [McGriff] Patrick McGriff and His Descendants. Genealogical Loose Papers / [South Carolina] Department of Archives and History. 29th Family on Film. Copy: FHL Film 288188.
- [McGriff] Hill, Joseph Edward. Colonel Patrick McGriff of Chester County, South Carolina, and Montgomery County, Georgia: His Children and Grandchildren and Some Others Named McGriff. Leesburg, Fla.: J.E. Hill, 1973. FHL 929.273 M178h
- [McLure] Butt, Mary McLure, Sarah Porter Carroll, and Jane Catherine Poulton. While the Cotton Blooms: A Pre Civil War History of the Family of John William McLure of Chester and Union Counties, S.C., Including the History of the Church of the Nativity, the Diary of Jane Poulton, Letters from the McLure Family Collection. Greenville, S.C.: A Press Printing Co., 1990. FHL Book 929.273 M132bmm
- [Martin] Ahlemann, Hilda Martin. The Martins of Gibson County [and Allied Families]. Typescript. Microfilmed 1986. FHL Film 1435483.
- [Morrow] Phillips, Ophelia M. Morrow Cousins: This is a History of the Morrow Family Beginning with Samuel Morrow of Maryland, Including One Line of These Connecting Families, Barnett, Cork, Gregory, Jennings, Kimbrough, Leavell, Phillips, Stewart, Storey, Thornton, Turner. Tuscaloosa, Ala.: Drake Printers, 1972. FHL Film 1454554 Item 10.
- [Nixon] Fay, Mary Smith. "Colonel John Nixon's Irish Relatives," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 14, No. 4 (Fall 1986):183-186. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 14
- [Patton] White, William Boyce. Genealogy of Two Early Patton Families of York, Chester, and Lancaster Counties, South Carolina. Roanoke, Va.: W.B. White, 1996. FHL 929.273 P278w
- [Peden] Myer, Lois C. Descendants of John Peden and Peggy McDill of Ireland and Chester Co., South Carolina: Also Lines of James Peden, Morton, and Morrow; Descendants of Samuel Martin and Jane Hightower through Robert Martin and His Wives, Rebecca and Mary. Typescript. Microfilmed 1969. FHL 599429 Item 1
- [Peebles] Saltzman, Bettie L. Peebles and Linda L. Saltzman McCall. Peebles, 1763-1988. Typescript. 1988 reprint: FHL Book 929.273 P343s; see also: FHL Film 1481380 Item 1.
- [Plaxco] Mendenhall, Samuel Brooks and William Boyce White. Plaxco-Robinson Being an Account of Two of the Ancient Presbyterian Families of Upper South Carolina (Particularly Situated in York and Chester Counties). Richmond, Va.: Whittet & Shepperson, 1958. FHL 929.273 P698m
- [Porter] Leigon, William, Faye Leigon, Stewart Porter, and Blake Williams. The Porters of Fishing Creek: A History of the Porter Family Which Lived in Chester County, South Carolina During the Revolutionary War Period with an Account of Some of Their Descendants and Allied Families. Truth or Consequences, N.M.: W. & F. Leigon, 1987. FHL Book 929.273 P833Lw
- [Robinson] Mendenhall, Samuel Brooks and William Boyce White. Plaxco-Robinson Being an Account of Two of the Ancient Presbyterian Families of Upper South Carolina (Particularly Situated in York and Chester Counties). Richmond, Va.: Whittet & Shepperson, 1958. FHL 929.273 P698m
- [Service] Ahart, Barbara Joan Allen. John Service, 1727-1807 of Chester County, South Carolina: The Story of "Wee Johnny Service" and His Family. Canon City, Colo.: B. Ahart, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 Se69a; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Speer] Speer, Rollo Clayton. A Genealogical Account of the Family of John I. Speer and Joseph Lowery Speer, Prominent Brothers in the Early Life of the State of Kansas John I. Speer was the Editor of the First Paper in Lawrence: Joseph Lowery Speer was the First Lieutenant Governor of Kansas. Topeka, Kan.: Kansas State Historical Society, 1967. FHL Film 1688880 Item 1.
- [Stephenson] Mount, Allen Wade. Our Stephenson Family and Allied Lines: A Brief Genealogical and Historical Record. Lee's Summit, Mo.: A.W. Mount, Sr., 1981. FHL Film 1033856 Item 6.
- [Stephenson] Stephenson, Virginia Bray and Larry E. Stephenson. Stephenson -- Jones and Other Ancestors in Memory of Lorenzo Eugene Stephenson & Phoebe Artimissa Shelton and Strider Mood Jones & Sarah Jane Lyon and All Those Pioneers Who Preceded Them. Wyandotte, Okla.: Gregath, 1999. FHL Book 929.273 St45sv; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Stewart] Beckman, Ludwig A. Genealogy, John Stewart, Rosherry, Ireland - Descendants Through His Son James. Louisville, Mo.: L.A. Beckman, Jr., 1967. FHL Film 1402777 Item 1.
- [Stormont] Stormont, Gil R. Stormont Genealogy. Typescript. Microfilmed 1969. FHL Film 599051 Item 2.
- [Walker] Hill, Annie Lee Hudson. Walker, Lemont Families. Typescript, 1954. FHL Film 875416 Item 9.
- [Walker] Russell, Judith F. "Samuel Walker of South Carolina: Three Revolutionary Soldiers," The South Carolina Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 31, No. 1 (Winter 2003):17-20. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 31
- [Whiteside] Paulus, Maud A. and Kathrin Neely Curtice. Handwritten Family Notes of Rhoda Frances (Shields) Neely, Wife of Isaac Robertson Neely, Primarily of the Whiteside Family These Notes were Found in the Bible of Isaac Robertson Neely, Husband of Rhoda Frances Neely, After Her Death 1 July, 1936. Old Family Bible records from Ann Poage Chapter, Texas, Vol. 2. Copy: FHL Book 976.4 D2cu v. 2.
- [Whitside] Paulus, Maud A. Shields/McElhannon Families, Neely/Ferguson Families, Faris/Lusk/Whitside Families. Typescript. FHL Book 976.4 D2c.
- [Wilson] Huttash, Ogreta W. Some of the Descendants of George and Johnanna (Freeman) Wilson. Jacksonville, Texas: O.W. Huttash, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 W691ho; digital version at Family History Archives.
- ↑ Ron Chepesiuk, "Genealogy: Resources of the Wintrhop Archives," The South Carolina&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;nbsp;Magazine of Ancestral Research, Vol. 8, No. 3 (Summer 1980):164-168. FHL Book 975.7 B2sc v. 8. Chepesiuk identifies the family collections available in 1980.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News