Chickasaw County, Iowa GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Chickasaw County Courthouse
8 East Prospect St.
P.O. Box 14
New Hampton, Iowa 50659-0014
1851--Chickasaw County was created 15 January 18151 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Fayette County prior to organization 12 September 1853. County seat: New Hampton 
March 26, 1880 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
- Chickasaw County Cemeteries by Iowa GenWeb Project
Iowa recorded not only the federal census but state census through out the years too. The state census contains very valuable genealogical information. Where the census information can be found, what years it was taken, mortality schedules, census substitutions and much more is discussed in the very informative Iowa Census article.
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Chickasaw County Iowa Genealogical Society
- Chickasaw County Iowa Genweb Page
- Family History Library Catalog
- Chickasaw County, Iowa Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More