Childwall, Lancashire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m
m
Line 2: Line 2:
  
 
Here is a [[List of Chapelries in Childwall All Saints Parish]]  
 
Here is a [[List of Chapelries in Childwall All Saints Parish]]  
 +
 +
[[Image:All_Saints_Church,_Childwall.jpg|thumb|right|Childwall All Saints]]
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
  
Childwall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.Other places in the parish include: Speke, Speke Demesne, Little Woolton, Thingwell, Allerton, and Thingwall. <br>
+
Childwall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.Other places in the parish include: Speke, Speke Demesne, Little Woolton, Thingwell, Allerton, and Thingwall. <br>  
  
The earliest recorded reference to Childwall was in the Domesday Book of 1086.
+
The earliest recorded reference to Childwall was in the Domesday Book of 1086.  
  
"Four Radmans held Childwall as four Manors. There is half a hide. It was worth eight shillings. There was a priest, having half a carucate of land in frank almoign."
+
"Four Radmans held Childwall as four Manors. There is half a hide. It was worth eight shillings. There was a priest, having half a carucate of land in frank almoign."  
  
Childwall was known as Cileuuelle in the 1086 Domesday Book meaning 'a stream where youngsters meet' from the Old English words cild and wella. Historically the name has been recorded as Childewalle (1212 and 1332), Chaldewall (1238), Childwall (1261), Childewelle (1291), Chaldewal (1305) and Childewall (1354).
+
Childwall was known as Cileuuelle in the 1086 Domesday Book meaning 'a stream where youngsters meet' from the Old English words cild and wella. Historically the name has been recorded as Childewalle (1212 and 1332), Chaldewall (1238), Childwall (1261), Childewelle (1291), Chaldewal (1305) and Childewall (1354).  
  
Childwall was traditionally part of the West Derby Hundred. It was an urban district from the Local Government Act 1894 until it was annexed to Liverpool in 1913.
+
Childwall was traditionally part of the West Derby Hundred. It was an urban district from the Local Government Act 1894 until it was annexed to Liverpool in 1913.  
  
All Saints' Church, Childwall, is a Grade I listed building and is the only medieval church remaining in the Metropolitan borough of Liverpool. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Liverpool, the archdeaconry of Liverpool and the deanery of Liverpool South - Childwall.<br>
+
All Saints' Church, Childwall, is a Grade I listed building and is the only medieval church remaining in the Metropolitan borough of Liverpool. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Liverpool, the archdeaconry of Liverpool and the deanery of Liverpool South - Childwall.<br>  
  
The chancel dates from the 14th century, and the south aisle and porch are probably from the 15th century. Additions were made in the 18th century and the tower and spire date from 1810–11. The north aisle dates from 1833 and it was partly rebuilt between 1900 and 1905. There are two chapels; the Plumb's Chapel on the north side is dated 1716 and on the south side the Salisbury pew (formerly Isaac Green's Chapel) dates from 1739–40. A restoration of the church was carried out by W. Raffles Brown in 1851–53. The rebuilding of the north aisle was by James F. Doyle and he added a vestry in 1905–06. Between 1987 and 1991 the external fabric of the church was restored and in 1994 the clock was also restored.<br><br><br>
+
The chancel dates from the 14th century, and the south aisle and porch are probably from the 15th century. Additions were made in the 18th century and the tower and spire date from 1810–11. The north aisle dates from 1833 and it was partly rebuilt between 1900 and 1905. There are two chapels; the Plumb's Chapel on the north side is dated 1716 and on the south side the Salisbury pew (formerly Isaac Green's Chapel) dates from 1739–40. A restoration of the church was carried out by W. Raffles Brown in 1851–53. The rebuilding of the north aisle was by James F. Doyle and he added a vestry in 1905–06. Between 1987 and 1991 the external fabric of the church was restored and in 1994 the clock was also restored.<br><br><br>  
  
 
CHILDWALL (All Saints), a parish, partly in the union of Prescot, and partly in that of West Derby, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster; comprising the chapelries of Aigburth, Garston, Hale, Wavertree, and Much Woolton, and the townships of Allerton, Childwall, Halewood, Speke, and Little Woolton; the whole containing 10,714 inhabitants, of whom 186 are in the township of Childwall, 4¼ miles (E. by S.) from Liverpool. Childwall is supposed to comprise the name of the Saxon chieftain by whom it was first occupied. The manor was held in the 13th century by the de Grelles and Delawarres; subsequently by the de Hollands, de Lathoms, and Sotheworths; and in the 15th century by the Stanleys, from whom it was sequestrated during the war of the Commonwealth. It afterwards became the property of the Le Greys, who sold the manor in the 18th century to Mr. Green, of Liverpool; and more lately it came to the Gascoynes. The heiress of the last-named family married the present Marquess of Salisbury, who assumed, in consequence, the name of Gascoyne. The parish is bounded on the west and south by the river Mersey, to which the rivulets of Childwall are tributary, and comprises by computation 14,870 acres, of which 680 acres are in Childwall township. The soil is various; in the higher lands a light clay upon red rock, in some few parts sandy, and in the remainder a reddish marl alternated with blue clay. The Manchester railway passes about a mile to the north of the church. Childwall Hall (which, with nearly the whole of the township, is the property of the Marquess of Salisbury, and entailed upon his second son,) is the splendid residence of John Shawe Leigh, Esq., and is in the castellated style, after a design by Nash; the park and grounds are in beautiful taste, and the scenery forms a panorama almost unrivalled in beauty and extent. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 11. 8.; net income, £456; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Chester. The church has some early English piers and decorated windows, but the greater portion is of modern date: the tower is handsome, surmounted by a spire, and of neater stonework than the rest of the edifice. Six other livings are maintained in the parish. There is an endowed school; and various bequests have been made for charitable uses. A cell of monks, here, from the monastery of Up-Holland, had the great tithes before the Reformation. Jeremiah Markland, son of a rector of the parish, a learned critic and classical scholar, was born at Childwall in 1693.  
 
CHILDWALL (All Saints), a parish, partly in the union of Prescot, and partly in that of West Derby, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster; comprising the chapelries of Aigburth, Garston, Hale, Wavertree, and Much Woolton, and the townships of Allerton, Childwall, Halewood, Speke, and Little Woolton; the whole containing 10,714 inhabitants, of whom 186 are in the township of Childwall, 4¼ miles (E. by S.) from Liverpool. Childwall is supposed to comprise the name of the Saxon chieftain by whom it was first occupied. The manor was held in the 13th century by the de Grelles and Delawarres; subsequently by the de Hollands, de Lathoms, and Sotheworths; and in the 15th century by the Stanleys, from whom it was sequestrated during the war of the Commonwealth. It afterwards became the property of the Le Greys, who sold the manor in the 18th century to Mr. Green, of Liverpool; and more lately it came to the Gascoynes. The heiress of the last-named family married the present Marquess of Salisbury, who assumed, in consequence, the name of Gascoyne. The parish is bounded on the west and south by the river Mersey, to which the rivulets of Childwall are tributary, and comprises by computation 14,870 acres, of which 680 acres are in Childwall township. The soil is various; in the higher lands a light clay upon red rock, in some few parts sandy, and in the remainder a reddish marl alternated with blue clay. The Manchester railway passes about a mile to the north of the church. Childwall Hall (which, with nearly the whole of the township, is the property of the Marquess of Salisbury, and entailed upon his second son,) is the splendid residence of John Shawe Leigh, Esq., and is in the castellated style, after a design by Nash; the park and grounds are in beautiful taste, and the scenery forms a panorama almost unrivalled in beauty and extent. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 11. 8.; net income, £456; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Chester. The church has some early English piers and decorated windows, but the greater portion is of modern date: the tower is handsome, surmounted by a spire, and of neater stonework than the rest of the edifice. Six other livings are maintained in the parish. There is an endowed school; and various bequests have been made for charitable uses. A cell of monks, here, from the monastery of Up-Holland, had the great tithes before the Reformation. Jeremiah Markland, son of a rector of the parish, a learned critic and classical scholar, was born at Childwall in 1693.  
  
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 593-597. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50873 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.
+
From: ''A Topographical Dictionary of England'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 593-597. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50873 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.  
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 29: Line 31:
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is [http://freebmd.org.uk/ FreeBMD].  
  
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths [[Lancashire_BMD]]<br>
+
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths [[Lancashire BMD]]<br>  
  
==== Lancashire Online Parish Clerks ====
+
==== Lancashire Online Parish Clerks ====
  
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/<br>
+
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/<br>  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
Line 47: Line 49:
 
Baptisms and marriages, 1602-1638, 1664-1761; burials, 1602-1638, 1664-1760. FHL BRITISH Film 1068852 Items 2 - 4 <br>Baptisms, 1762-1850; marriages, 1761-1838; burials, 1761-1850. FHL BRITISH Film 1068853 <br>Baptisms and burials, 1851-1869, 1898. FHL BRITISH Film 1068854 Item 1  
 
Baptisms and marriages, 1602-1638, 1664-1761; burials, 1602-1638, 1664-1760. FHL BRITISH Film 1068852 Items 2 - 4 <br>Baptisms, 1762-1850; marriages, 1761-1838; burials, 1761-1850. FHL BRITISH Film 1068853 <br>Baptisms and burials, 1851-1869, 1898. FHL BRITISH Film 1068854 Item 1  
  
[[Hale,_Lancashire]] was a chapelry in this parish and registers may reflect events from that place.<br><br>  
+
[[Hale, Lancashire]] was a chapelry in this parish and registers may reflect events from that place.<br><br>  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
Line 57: Line 59:
 
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census  
 
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census  
  
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
+
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
  
[[West_Derby,_Lancashire_Poor_Law_Union]]
+
[[West Derby, Lancashire Poor Law Union]]  
  
==== Probate records<br> ====
+
==== Probate records<br> ====
  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
  
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
+
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
  
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
+
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
Line 76: Line 78:
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
<br>
+
<br>  
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 15:21, 14 December 2010

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Here is a List of Chapelries in Childwall All Saints Parish

Childwall All Saints

Contents

Parish History

Childwall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.Other places in the parish include: Speke, Speke Demesne, Little Woolton, Thingwell, Allerton, and Thingwall.

The earliest recorded reference to Childwall was in the Domesday Book of 1086.

"Four Radmans held Childwall as four Manors. There is half a hide. It was worth eight shillings. There was a priest, having half a carucate of land in frank almoign."

Childwall was known as Cileuuelle in the 1086 Domesday Book meaning 'a stream where youngsters meet' from the Old English words cild and wella. Historically the name has been recorded as Childewalle (1212 and 1332), Chaldewall (1238), Childwall (1261), Childewelle (1291), Chaldewal (1305) and Childewall (1354).

Childwall was traditionally part of the West Derby Hundred. It was an urban district from the Local Government Act 1894 until it was annexed to Liverpool in 1913.

All Saints' Church, Childwall, is a Grade I listed building and is the only medieval church remaining in the Metropolitan borough of Liverpool. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Liverpool, the archdeaconry of Liverpool and the deanery of Liverpool South - Childwall.

The chancel dates from the 14th century, and the south aisle and porch are probably from the 15th century. Additions were made in the 18th century and the tower and spire date from 1810–11. The north aisle dates from 1833 and it was partly rebuilt between 1900 and 1905. There are two chapels; the Plumb's Chapel on the north side is dated 1716 and on the south side the Salisbury pew (formerly Isaac Green's Chapel) dates from 1739–40. A restoration of the church was carried out by W. Raffles Brown in 1851–53. The rebuilding of the north aisle was by James F. Doyle and he added a vestry in 1905–06. Between 1987 and 1991 the external fabric of the church was restored and in 1994 the clock was also restored.


CHILDWALL (All Saints), a parish, partly in the union of Prescot, and partly in that of West Derby, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster; comprising the chapelries of Aigburth, Garston, Hale, Wavertree, and Much Woolton, and the townships of Allerton, Childwall, Halewood, Speke, and Little Woolton; the whole containing 10,714 inhabitants, of whom 186 are in the township of Childwall, 4¼ miles (E. by S.) from Liverpool. Childwall is supposed to comprise the name of the Saxon chieftain by whom it was first occupied. The manor was held in the 13th century by the de Grelles and Delawarres; subsequently by the de Hollands, de Lathoms, and Sotheworths; and in the 15th century by the Stanleys, from whom it was sequestrated during the war of the Commonwealth. It afterwards became the property of the Le Greys, who sold the manor in the 18th century to Mr. Green, of Liverpool; and more lately it came to the Gascoynes. The heiress of the last-named family married the present Marquess of Salisbury, who assumed, in consequence, the name of Gascoyne. The parish is bounded on the west and south by the river Mersey, to which the rivulets of Childwall are tributary, and comprises by computation 14,870 acres, of which 680 acres are in Childwall township. The soil is various; in the higher lands a light clay upon red rock, in some few parts sandy, and in the remainder a reddish marl alternated with blue clay. The Manchester railway passes about a mile to the north of the church. Childwall Hall (which, with nearly the whole of the township, is the property of the Marquess of Salisbury, and entailed upon his second son,) is the splendid residence of John Shawe Leigh, Esq., and is in the castellated style, after a design by Nash; the park and grounds are in beautiful taste, and the scenery forms a panorama almost unrivalled in beauty and extent. The living is a vicarage, valued in the king's books at £5. 11. 8.; net income, £456; patron and appropriator, the Bishop of Chester. The church has some early English piers and decorated windows, but the greater portion is of modern date: the tower is handsome, surmounted by a spire, and of neater stonework than the rest of the edifice. Six other livings are maintained in the parish. There is an endowed school; and various bequests have been made for charitable uses. A cell of monks, here, from the monastery of Up-Holland, had the great tithes before the Reformation. Jeremiah Markland, son of a rector of the parish, a learned critic and classical scholar, was born at Childwall in 1693.

From: A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 593-597. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50873 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/


Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Parish registers for All Saints Church, Childwall Microfilm of original records at the Lancashire Record Office. Includes index. Christening, marriages, burials, 1557-1753. FHL BRITISH Film 93694

Bishop's transcripts for Childwall  Microfilm of original records at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston. Parish church known as All Saints.
Lancashire Record Office: DRL 2/6-15

Baptisms and marriages, 1602-1638, 1664-1761; burials, 1602-1638, 1664-1760. FHL BRITISH Film 1068852 Items 2 - 4
Baptisms, 1762-1850; marriages, 1761-1838; burials, 1761-1850. FHL BRITISH Film 1068853
Baptisms and burials, 1851-1869, 1898. FHL BRITISH Film 1068854 Item 1

Hale, Lancashire was a chapelry in this parish and registers may reflect events from that place.


Census records

Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

West Derby, Lancashire Poor Law Union

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.