Childwall, Lancashire GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Childwall is an Ancient Parish in the county of Lancashire.Other places in the parish include: Speke, Speke Demesne, Little Woolton, Thingwell, Allerton, and Thingwall.
The earliest recorded reference to Childwall was in the Domesday Book of 1086.
"Four Radmans held Childwall as four Manors. There is half a hide. It was worth eight shillings. There was a priest, having half a carucate of land in frank almoign."
Childwall was known as Cileuuelle in the 1086 Domesday Book meaning 'a stream where youngsters meet' from the Old English words cild and wella. Historically the name has been recorded as Childewalle (1212 and 1332), Chaldewall (1238), Childwall (1261), Childewelle (1291), Chaldewal (1305) and Childewall (1354).
Childwall was traditionally part of the West Derby Hundred. It was an urban district from the Local Government Act 1894 until it was annexed to Liverpool in 1913.
All Saints' Church, Childwall, is a Grade I listed building and is the only medieval church remaining in the Metropolitan borough of Liverpool. It is an active Anglican parish church in the diocese of Liverpool, the archdeaconry of Liverpool and the deanery of Liverpool South - Childwall.
The chancel dates from the 14th century, and the south aisle and porch are probably from the 15th century. Additions were made in the 18th century and the tower and spire date from 1810–11. The north aisle dates from 1833 and it was partly rebuilt between 1900 and 1905. There are two chapels; the Plumb's Chapel on the north side is dated 1716 and on the south side the Salisbury pew (formerly Isaac Green's Chapel) dates from 1739–40. A restoration of the church was carried out by W. Raffles Brown in 1851–53. The rebuilding of the north aisle was by James F. Doyle and he added a vestry in 1905–06. Between 1987 and 1991 the external fabric of the church was restored and in 1994 the clock was also restored.
"CHILDWALL All Saints, a parish, partly in the union of Prescot, and partly in that of West Derby, hundred of West Derby, S. division of the county of Lancaster; comprising the chapelries of Aigburth, Garston, Hale, Wavertree, and Much Woolton, and the townships of Allerton, Childwall, Halewood, Speke, and Little Woolton, 4¼ miles east by south of Liverpool. There were 7 other churches maintained in the parish."
The following web sites provide online data content for Childwall All Saints ancient parish and its several chapelries and district churches which came under its jurisdiction and of which lay within the parish boundary prior to about 1870, as follows:
[Note: FS = FamilySearch.org; LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Church project; AC = Ancestry.co.uk]
|Church Name (Year Registers Began)||FS||LOPC||AC|
|CHILDWALL ALL SAINTS - 1557||1572-1812|
|Aigburth - 1837||NO||NO|
|Allerton - 1848||NO||NO||NO|
|Garston - 1777||NO||NO||NO|
|Hale - 1572||1788-1853||NO|
|Halewood - 1839||NO||1839-1939||NO|
|Little Woolton - 1826||1728-1812||1731-1877||NO|
|Wavertree - 1794||NO||1794-1911||NO|
|Wavertree St Mary 1855||1745-1800||1939-1959||NO|
|Wavertree St Bridget 1872||NO||1872-1902||NO|
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
- ↑ A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 593-597. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50873 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News