Chilton County, Alabama GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Alabama-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Chilton County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||December 30, 1868|
County CourthouseChilton County Courthouse
501 2nd Avenue N.,
Clanton, AL 35045,
Phone: (205) 755-4275
Clerk Circuit Court has probate and divorce records,
Court Records from 1868
Probate Judge has marriage and land records 
Chilton County was originally known as Baker County, renamed Chilton County on 17 December 1874.
1870 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle]
Biographies of many notable residents of Chilton County, Alabama Genealogy were published in Memorial Record of Alabama (1893). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Begins on page 642.
- Alpine Baptist Church Cemetery
- Center Hill Cemetery, Jemison
- Church Street Church Cemetery
- Confederate Memorial Park Cemetery#1 Mountain Creek
- Confederate Memorial Park Cemetery#2 Mounatain Creek
- Deadwilder-Hicks Cemetery
- Ebenezer Baptist Church Cemetery
- Faith Baptist Church Cemetery
- Gandy Cemetery
- Harris Family Cemetery
- Hayes Cemetery
- Hillcrest Baptist Church Cemetery
- Jones Cemetery
- Jones Cemetery#2 Maplesville
- Littleton Family Cemetery
- Mapelsville Cemetery
- Mineral Springs Cemetery (2nd partial listing)
- Moore Family cemetery
- Mount Carmel (Adams) Baptist Church Cemetery (partial)
- Old Eddings/West Family Cemetery(partial
- Old Maplesville Cemetery
- Ousley-Boggs Cemetery, Fletcher
- Pates Chapel Cemetery, Jemison
- Pilgrim Rest Cemetery, African American
- Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church Cemetery
- Pleasant Grove Methodist Cemetery
- Pleasant Hill Church Cemetery, aka Scott Hill Cemetery
- Popewell Family Cemetery
- Posey Cemetery #2, Jemison
- Rocky Mount Community Cemetery
- Sardis Baptist Church Cemetery
- Scandanavian Cemetery
- Union Springs Baptist Church Cemetery
- Valley Creek Cemetery
- Verbena Cemetery (partial)
For tips on accessing Chilton County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
|Chilton County, Alabama|
|Baker County until 1874
Sources: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml. through 1960
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1870-1930 - Chilton County, Alabama Marriage Books 1-3, and Licenses in "Alabama, County Marriages, 1809-1950," at FamilySearch.org - free.
- Chilton County was not yet established for the 1867 Voting Registers.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Chiton County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Chilton County p. 36. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Coverage Table, "Alabama County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," FamilySearch Research Wiki, https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Alabama_County_Marriages_(FamilySearch_Historical_Records), accessed 6 August 2012.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More