Chowan County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Chowan County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Chowan was formed in 1670 as a precinct in Albemarle County. It was named in honor of the Indian tribe Chowan, which lived in the northeastern part of the Colony. It is in the northeastern section of the State and is bounded by Albemarle Sound, Chowan River, and Bertie, Hertford, Gates and Perquimans counties. The present land area is 172.64 square miles and the 2000 population was 14,150. In 1720, Edenton, which was named in honor of Governor Charles Eden, was established. In 1722 it was designated and has continued to be the county seat.
- Many court records said to have been destroyed by acting clerk of court.
Business Directories & Year Books
- 1872 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1903 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1904 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1905 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1910 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1911 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1912 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1913 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1914 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1915 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1916 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- Index to Chowan Co., NC Year Books
- Chowan Co., NC Cemetery List
- Selected Burial Information
- Chowan Co., NC Tombstone Transcription Project
- Chowan Co., NC Cemetery Survey
- Chowan Co., NC Cemeteries on Find-A-Grave
- Famous people buried in Chowan Co., NC
- 1787 Census for Chowan Co., NC
- 1790 Census for Chowan Co., NC
- Free Men Heads of Household for 1790, 1800, & 1820
- [de Clugny] Coddington, John Insley. "The Marquis de Clugny at Edenton, North Carolina, 1795-1798," The American Genealogist, Vol. 42, No. 3 (Jul. 1966):144-148. FHL 973 D25aga v. 42; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
- [Jones] Jones, L.H. Captain Roger Jones of London and Virginia, Some of His Antecedents and Descendants: With Appreciative Notice of Other Families, viz.: Bathurst, Belford, Browning, Carter, Catesby, Cocke, Graham, Fauntleroy, Hickman, Hoskins, Latanes, Lewis, Meriwether, Skelton, Walker, Waring, Woodford, and Others: Notes. Albany, N.Y.: J. Munsell's Sons, 1891. FHL Fiche 6060672; digital version at Family History Archives; Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Early Names, Boundaries & Reliigion
- History of the Edenton Teapot
- The Signers of the Resolution of the Edenton Tea Party
- History of North Carolina's Parishes
- NC State Map with clickable counties
- Chowan Co., NC Township Map
- Formation of NC in Maps
- Albemarle County Map 1671-1684
- 1730 Herman Moll Map
- 1733 Edward Mosley Map
- 1744 Map of Lord Carteret's Land Grant
- 1775 Henry Mouzon, Jr. Map
- 1808 Price-Strothers Map
- Civil War Maps
- 1895 NC State Map
- 1936 Chowan Co., NC Map
- 1998 Chowan Co., NC Map
- Animated Atlas
- 1812 Chowan Co., NC Muster Roll
- Third Battalion NC Light Artillery; Company B from Chowan Co., NC
- Veterans Administration Pension Payment Cards 1907-1933
- WWII Honor List of Dead or Missing from Chowan Co., NC
- Chronicling America (Chowan Co., NC)
- North Carolina Newspaper Digitization Project, North Carolina State Archives. Search full text historical newspapers published in Edenton.
- UNC Southern Historical Collection
Wills & Estates
Societies and Libraries
Family history Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Treasures of North Carolina at the NC Archives
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).