Christian County, Kentucky GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Christian County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 13, 1796|
1864--A disaster destroyed most records.
Places / Localities
|Barkers Mill||Era||Honey Grove||Ovil|
|Binns Mill||Fedelio||Julien||Pleasant Green Hill|
|Bluff Spring||Fort Campbell||Kelly||Pleasant Hill|
|Carl||Fruit Hill||Kennedy||Saint Elmo|
|Church Hill||Gracey||Mannington||West Brook|
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Christian Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project Tombstone Transcription Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Christian County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- TheFamily History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Christian County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Christian County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
LDS Cemetery Records
Vol. 1 page 11 - Barnes Cemetery
Vol. 1 page 13 - Dunning Farm Cemetery
For tips on accessing Christian County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Adams] Maloney, James Hallett. "Drury Hatcher of Cumberland County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 49, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 2005):243-256; Vol. 50, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2006):51-59. Digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Baker] Chapman, Peggy Brown. Bakers of Logan, Christian, Muhlenberg, Livingston, Henderson, Hopkins, Caldwell, Union, Todd, Trigg, Crittenden, Lyon, McLean and Webster Counties & Jackson Purchase, Kentucky. Lubbock, Texas: P.B. Chapman, 1995. FHL Book 929.273 B171cp.
- [Cocke] Hart, Lyndon H. "The Cocke Family in Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 44, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2000):41-61; Vol. 44, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2000):146-156; Vol. 44, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 2000):203-215; Vol. 44, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 2000):309-315; Vol. 45, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2001):23-36; Vol. 45, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 2001):132-148; Vol. 45, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 2001):208-219; Vol. 45, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 2001):278-288; Vol. 46, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 2002):42-46. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Finley] Finley, Carmen J. "John Finley of Montgomery/Wythe County, Virginia: Additional Children Identified," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 39, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1995):3-22; Vol. 39, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1995):94-103; Vol. 39, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1995):202-212; Vol. 39, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1995):282-294. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 39 (1995).
- [Sassin] Allen, Cameron. "Francois Sasin/Sassin of Manakin Town: The First Six Generations of the Sassin/Sasseen Family in America," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 37, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1993):3-17; Vol. 37, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1993):99-116; Vol. 37, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1993):193-205; Vol. 37, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1993):259-271. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 37 (1993).
- [Shipp] Sanders, Walter R. The Shipp Genealogy from Essex, Caroline, Fa[u]quier Counties, Virginia, to Green, Taylor, Woodford, Jefferson, Fayette, Christian, Bourbon, Scott, Owen, Counties, Kentucky, and Johnson Counties, Indiana. Typescript. Microfilmed 1971. FHL Book 929.273 Sh64s; FHL Film 875372 Item 5
- The KY Land Office
- The organization Strictly By Name provides free online indexes to early Christian County land records. They offer a record retrieval service to photocopy and transcribe microfilm copies of the original documents for a small fee. Available indexes:
- Fowler, W.T. Christian County, Kentucky. Hopkinsville, Ky.: n.p., 1915. Digital version at Kentuckiana Digital Library.
- Perrin, William Henry. Counties of Christian and Trigg, Kentucky: Historical and Biographical. Chicago; Louisville: F.A. Battey, 1884. Digital version at Kentuckiana Digital Library.
- ~ The Archives of Appalachia
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- 1874-2008 - Kentucky New Era (Hopkinsville, Ky.) at Google News - free.
- 1887-1912 - Weekly Kentucky New Era (Hopkinsville, Ky.) at Google News - free.
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1797-1921 - Will Books (1797-1921) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- 1797 - "Christian County Tax List 1797," Tree Builders, Christian County Genealogical Society, Vol. 28, No. 1 (Spring 2007):5-10. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 1798 - "Christian County Tax List 1798," Tree Builders, Christian County Genealogical Society, Vol. 28, No. 1 (Spring 2007):5-13. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Christian County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- "Christian Co., KY Marriage Bonds through 1820," published in Tree Builders, Christian County Genealogical Society, Vol. 22 (2001), beginning on page 44. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free.
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
-  USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Christian County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Christian County, Kentucky page 269, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Voice of Dorothy Murphy (b. 1927), life-long resident of Central City, Ky. (2011)
- ↑ G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).