Church Coniston, Lancashire Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
m (Text replace - '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''' to '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''')
Line 11: Line 11:
 
The modern parish is within the Diocese of Carlisle. <br>
 
The modern parish is within the Diocese of Carlisle. <br>
  
"CONISTONE, CHURCH, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 6 miles (S. W.) from Ambleside; containing 1148 inhabitants. The manor, which was held by the Urswicks, passed by marriage in the reign of Henry III to the le Flemings, and became the seat of seven descents of the family. About the 10th of Henry IV., Thomas le Fleming married one of the four daughters of Sir John de Lancaster, by whom he acquired the manor of Rydal, in Westmorland; and for seven generations more, Rydal and Conistone vied to fix the family in Westmorland or Lancashire. Sir Daniel Fleming, Bart., died in 1821, leaving his lady his estates. The township is the most northern part of the county, stretching to the shire-stone near the hills of Wrynose and Hard-Knot; within its limits are Yewdale and the reputed lordship of Tilberthwaite. The population of the village has increased from the flourishing state of the copper-mines and slate-quarries here. A fair for cattle is held on the third Saturday in September. The chapel was consecrated in 1586, and re-erected in 1819, when 230 additional sittings were provided: the living is a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of T. R. G. Braddyll, Esq.; net income, £100. To the north-west of the village is the Old Man, the most elevated mountain in the county, 2576 feet above the level of the sea; on its summit are three heaps of stones called the Old Man, his Wife, and Son, supposed relics of the Sabæan superstition."  
+
"CONISTONE, CHURCH, '''a chapelry''', '''in the parish '''and union '''of Ulverston''', hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 6 miles southwest of&nbsp;Ambleside.&nbsp;The chapel was consecrated in 1586."<ref>''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 679-682. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50894 Date accessed: 29 June 2010.</ref>
 
+
From: ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 679-682. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50894 Date accessed: 29 June 2010.  
+
  
 
See "Manchester St Dennis" for a Comprehensive List of Chapels within the Parish of Manchester".  
 
See "Manchester St Dennis" for a Comprehensive List of Chapels within the Parish of Manchester".  
Line 35: Line 33:
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}
+
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}  
  
 
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census  
 
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census  
Line 58: Line 56:
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
<br>
+
== Reference<br> ==
 +
 
 +
{{Reflist}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 23:05, 5 March 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

Church Coniston St Andrew Lancashire.jpg

Contents

Chapelry History

Church Coniston St Andrew was created a chapel of ease by 1599, taken from and lying within the boundaries of Ulverston, Lancashire Ancient Parish. See also Comprehensive List of Chapelries in Ulverston Parish.Other places in the parish include: Above Coniston.

Having been within the boundaries of the historic county of Lancashire since 1182, Coniston was part of the administrative county of Lancashire between 1889 and 1974. Today Coniston forms part of Cumbria. The village is situated at the head of Coniston Water, the third longest lake in the Lake District.

The modern parish is within the Diocese of Carlisle.

"CONISTONE, CHURCH, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 6 miles southwest of Ambleside. The chapel was consecrated in 1586."[1]

See "Manchester St Dennis" for a Comprehensive List of Chapels within the Parish of Manchester".

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/


Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Ulverston Poor Law Union,Lancashire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.

Reference

  1. A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 679-682. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50894 Date accessed: 29 June 2010.