Citrus County, FloridaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Florida-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Citrus County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||June 2, 1887|
111 W Main Street
Iverness, FL 34450
Office of Historical Resources has marriage records 1887-1945,
cemetery, probate, land and court records from 1887 and military
discharge records 1919-1969; County Health Department has birth and death records
1887--Citrus County created 2 June 1887 from the northern most part of Hernando County. The original county seat was Mannfield and it was not ever intended to be the permanent county seat. About 16 months later, the citizens decided to make the town of Inverness the county seat as it was centrally located within the county. Ironically, the Mannfield Town clerk suddenly moved the records in the middle of the night a few days before the scheduled move was to take place.
Currently all that is left of Mannfield is the rubble of a few house foundations and a small cemetery.
County seat: Inverness 
Places / Localities
- Crystal River
- Inverness (county seat)
- Beverly Hills
- Black Diamond
- Citrus Hills
- Citrus Springs
- Floral City
- Homosassa Springs
- Inverness Highlands North
- Inverness Highlands South
- Oak Hill
- Pine Ridge
- Pleassant Grove
- Red Level
- Sugarmill Woods
- Mannfield (original county seat, now a ghost town)
- Stage Pond (Cemetery still remains)
- Fairmount (town site is now Meadowcrest Industrial Park)
Citrus County Cemeteries at Citrus County FLGenWeb
- Stage Pond Cemetery, Floral City BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Citrus County, Florida census records online, see: Florida Census.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- The Citrus County FLGenWeb Project; a member of The FLGenWeb Project, an affiliate of the USGenWeb Project
- USGenWeb Project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project
- [https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results#count=20&query=%2Bsubject%3AFlorida%2C+Citrus Family History Library Catalog]
- Citrus County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Citrus County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Citrus County, Colorado. Page 133 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
We want your opinion!
Give feedback on two US state pages by clicking on the purple button belowClick Here