Claiborne County, Tennessee Compiled GenealogiesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Has anyone studied my Claiborne County, Tennessee family before?
Message boards and online family trees can help you learn if someone is actively researching your ancestors. More than 45 books or articles have been published about Claiborne County's families. Descendants of some historic residents have had their DNA tested.
- Main article: Claiborne County, Tennessee
Books that discuss multiple local families include:
- Claiborne County Historical Society. The People's History of Claiborne County, 1801-2005. 2 vols. n.p.: Walsworth Press, 1988-2005. FHL Book 976.8944 H2ph.
- Page, Bonnie M. Clearfork and More: History and Memories. Lake City, Tenn.: B.M. Page, 1986. FHL Book 976.8944 D2p.
- Stanis, Jeanne R. and P.G. Fulkerson. Every Name Index to "Early Settlers of Claiborne County" by P. G. Fulkerson: as Published in the Tazewell-New Tazewell Observer. Western Springs, Ill.: J.R. Stanis, 1988. FHL Book 976.8944 H2f index.
- Wilson, Marshall A. Families of Norris Reservoir Area. Clinton, Tenn.: Pellissippi Genealogical and Historical Society, 1986. FHL Book 976.8935 D2w.
- Norris Dam on the Clinch River in Eastern Tennessee was a project of the Tennessee Valley Authority in the 1930s. Nearly 3,000 families, totalling almost 14,000 persons, were required to vacate land that was to be inundated by the resulting reservoir. In connection with the removal of families and gravesites, Mr. Wilson, a TVA official, collected historical and genealogical information about Norris Valley residents; he presents information about 75 of those families, along with a brief chronology of the area. Each family record begins with the name of a father and the name of that man's father, con- tinuing through other ancestors of the direct male line back to the earliest one known. Families represented by ten or more male heads of household include Agee, Carden, Hatmaker, Irwin, Longmire, Miller, Rice, and Sharp.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Boruff] Collins, Sonja. Boruff Family Research Data. Corryton, Tenn.: N.L. Collins, 199-?. FHL Book 929.273 B648c.
- [Bowman] Bowman, Roy L. The Bowman (and Related) Families of Claiborne County, Tennessee. Clinton, Tenn.: Roy L. Bowman, 1986. FHL Book 929.273 B684br.
- [Buis] Buis. 198-?. FHL Book 929.273 B868bu.
- [Cadle] Cadle, Jacqueline Walling. Descendants of David L. Cadle: The Pioneer of Lone Jack. Renton, Wash.: J. Cadle, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 C114cj.
- [Collingsworth] Marshall, Ellen Beatrice Crutchfield, Cleo Collingsworth Seals and O. Ruth. The Collingsworth Family. Ky.: n.p., 1978. FHL Book 929.273 C691c.
- [Davis] Davis--Hatfield--Parkey Family Bible Records, 1779-1919. Transcript, microfilmed in 1971. FHL Film 855039 Item 4.
- [Dobbs] Lessley, Ruth Hope Parker. Chesley Dobbs, 1749-1834. Typescript, Family Genealogies, Jeffersonville Township Public Library, Jeffersonville, Ind. FHL Film 1428709.
- [Dodson] Lehmann, Joy Deal. The Descendants of Elijah Dodson of Yamhill County, Oregon: Six Generations of Descendants Since His Arrival in Oregon Territory in 1847. Novato, Calif.: J. Lehmann, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 D668Lj.
- [Dunn] Dunn, Leon. The Searcher: A Long Walk Through Time and History: The Historical and Genealogical Facts about Francis and Joseph Dunn, and Their Families from Tennessee to Northwest Arkansas. Charleston, Ark.: L. Dunn, 1987. FHL Book 929.273 D922s.
- [Edmondson] Collins, Sonja. Edmondson Family Research Booklet, ca. 1796-1971. Corryton, Tenn.: S. Collins, 1986. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 7160.
- [Francisco] Fletcher, Virginia Billingsley and Paul E. Fletcher. "Time and Tide": A Francisco Family History: The Ancestors and Descendants of Christopher Francisco and Halana Bowen of Southwest Virginia and Claiborne County, Tennessee. Fort Lauderdale, Fla.: V.B. Fletcher, 1989. FHL Book 929.273 F847fv.
- [Goin] Thurman, Dianne L. Stark. Goin and Variants: Family of Thomas Goin of Claiborne Co, TN., 1750, VA - 1838, TN. Wichita, Kansas: D.L.S. Thurman, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 G561t.
- [Grubb] Wanger, George F.P. and Grubb Family Association. Grubb Family Pedigree Charts. MSS., microfilmed in 1943. FHL Film 117 Item 4.
- [Hanson] Hanson, Ray. Some Irishmen, Some Germans, Some Finlanders and Our Hansons: A Compilation of Hanson Historical Information Concerning the Descendants of John Hanson and His Irish Wife - Immigrants to the American Colonies about 1728. Bloomington, Minn.: R. Hanson, [1996?]. FHL Book 929.273 H198har.
- [Hunter] Hunter, Patricia Finn. Joseph Hunter Genealogy and His Jager Connection, 1650-2000: in Speedwell, Claiborne County, Tennessee; Cherokee Creek, Washington County, Tennessee; Rockingham County, Virginia; Frederick County, Maryland; Lancaster (now York) County, Pennsylvania; Basal-Land, Switzerland. Knoxville, Tenn.: P.F. Hunter, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 H917hp.
- [Hurst] Littell, Noble K. The Hurst Family: From the Archives. Newsclipping, Family Files, Morgan County Public Library, Martinsville, Ind. FHL Film 1502553 Item 51.
- [Hurst] Branch, Virginia. The Hurst Nation: A Family History. Paragould, Ark.: V. Branch, [1987-1991?]. FHL Book 929.273 H943b.
- [Hurst] Lee, Li Ann Harper. Descendants of John C. Harper and Sarah Hurst. Layton, Utah: L.A.H. Lee, 2006. FHL Book 929.273 H232L; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online .
- [Johnson] Hunt, Evelyn Hatfield. My Mother's Family in America, 1776-2000. n.p.: E.H. Hunt, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 J63heh.
- [Johnston] Scott, B.D. Johnston - Southern of Claiborne County, Tennessee and Parker County, Texas: Isaac McNew Johnston (1838-1929) and Allied Families: Amis, Haynes, Huddleston, Seabolt, Southern, and Spears. Maryville, Mo.: B.D. Scott, 1996. FHL Film 1598396 Item 1.
- [Keck] Cavanagh, Lulu. The Keck Family. MSS., microfilmed in 1975: FHL Film 928041 Item 44.
- [Keck] Fletcher, Virginia Billingsley. "Down in the Barns" - The Kecks of Claiborne County, Tennessee: The Ancestors and Descendants of John "Guider" Keck and His Wife, Rebecca A. Yadon. Baltimore, Md.: Gateway Press, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 K234f; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online .
- [Keck] Fletcher, Virginia Billingsley and Homer Craft Keck. More Kecks of Claiborne County, Tennessee: William, Henry, and Matthew Kerk, Son of John Keck Sr. and Anna Ousley: and Jacob Sowder, Soldier at Valley Forge, and His Descendants thru Adam Sowder, Who Married Anna Dunn. Fort Lauderdale, Fla.: V.B. Fletcher, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 K234fa.
- [Linch] Linch, Ray Hanford. Linch/Lynch Lineage and Family History. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma: R.H. Linch, 1993. FHL Book 929.273 L634Lr.
- [McAnally] McAnally, Thomas S. The McAnallys: Descendants of Hamilton and Winfred. Nashville, Tenn.: T. McAnally, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 M118mt.
- [McBee] McBee: Family Bible Records Transcript, 1797-1929. Transcript; FHL Film 1307616 Item 59.
- [Miller] Stirbys, Theresa Miller. Martin Miller Families, 1753-1987. Huntsville, Ala.: T.M. Stirbys, 198-. FHL Book 929.273 M612st.
- [Owsley] Bodine, Ronny O. John Owsley. 2 vols. Fort George G. Meade, Md.: R.O. Bodine, 1989-1990. FHL Book 929.273 Ow6b.
- [Perry] Robbins, Kevin and Genevieve Perry Barham. Descendants of Nathan Perry and Rebecca Yarbrough. Countryside, Ill.: K. Robbins, 1984. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 4572.
- [Pugh] Moneta, Daniela. "Identifying the Children of David Pugh and Nancy Minton of Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 96, No. 1 (March 2008):13-22. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 96.
- [Ritchie] Stone, Hazel Ritchie. James Ritchie 1806-1850, Claiborne Co., Tenn. & Virginia. 1963. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 1165.
- [Shultz] Reagan, Donald B. Smoky Mountain Clans. 3 vols. Knoxville, Tenn.: D.B. Reagan, 1978-1983. FHL Book 929.273R22b 1978. [The Shultz family is discussed in Vol. 2.]
- [Shumate] Ledgerwood, Marian Carter. Descendants of Mark Shumate of Claiborne County, Tennessee. Houston, Texas: M.C. Ledgerwood, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 Sh92Lm.
- [Smith] Collins, Sonja. Elisha Smith and Family, 1814-1979. n.p.: S.J.S. Collins, 1979. FHL Book 929.273 Sm55cs.
- [Southern] Scott, B.D. Robert Southern, 1780-1837 of Claiborne County, Tennessee: and His Wife, Nancy Neil Including Collateral and Allied Families. Decorah, Iowa: Anundsen, 1996. FHL Book 929.273 So88s. [Primitive Baptist Minister]
- [Southern] Padgett, Wilma Lawson. Early Virginia Settlers: Blackard, DeHart, Hubbard, Hurst, Lawson, Shelor, Southern, Thompson, Turner. Baltimore, Md.: Gateway Press, 2001. FHL Book 929.273 B561pw.
- [Sowder] Fletcher, Virginia Billingsley and Homer Craft Keck. More Kecks of Claiborne County, Tennessee: William, Henry, and Matthew Kerk, Son of John Keck Sr. and Anna Ousley: and Jacob Sowder, Soldier at Valley Forge, and His Descendants thru Adam Sowder, Who Married Anna Dunn. Fort Lauderdale, Fla.: V.B. Fletcher, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 K234fa.
- [Treece] Treece, Margaret and Mary Lou Treece. The Ancestors and Descendants of Jefferson Treece: Claiborne County, Tennessee. 2009. FHL Book 929.273 T714t.
- [Walker] Bell, Annie W.B. Walker Family Records from the Shadow of Cumberland Gap; Glaiborne [sic] County, Tazewell, Tennessee. Typescript, 1957. FHL Film 875416 Item 3.
- [Ward] Edgerly, Dorthea Roach and Raymond Henry Edgerly. John Murphy Ward of Harlan County, Kentucky. Oceanside, Calif.: D. Edgerly, 1999. FHL Book 929.273 W213j; digital version at FamilySearch Books Online .
- [Widener] Crump, Shirley Widener, Les Widener, and Ada Widener. Rough Notes on Widener Genealogy: [Descendants of David Widener and Nancy Mock]. Raleigh, N.C.: S.W. Crump, 198-. FHL Book 929.273 W633c.
- [Wilson] Wilson: Family Bible Records, 1817-1913; and Other Family Genealogical Data, 1793-1981. MSS., Microfilm: FHL Film 1033990 Item 43.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News