Clarendon, VermontEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Benning Wentworth, governor of New Hampshire, granted the charter of Clarendon to Caleb Williams and others on September 5, 1761, dividing the town into seventy shares, containing 23,600 acres. Clarendon is almost purely an agricultural district. The surface is diversified with hills, mountains and valleys, and several considerable streams drain the town. The town is bounded on the north by Rutland, east by Shrewsbury,south by Wallingford and Tinmouth, and west by Ira. Clarendon is split into the villages of Clarendon, West Clarendon, East Clarendon, Clarendon Springs, and North Clarendon.
In 1810 Clarendon had 1,797 inhabitants. The population in 2010 was 2,571people.
In the early period the people were industrious and economical, their garments
homemade, their habits simple. They cut down the forests, cleared the
land, made the roads, fences and houses, some of which remain to this day.
Nearly all of the early industries, except farming, as well as the mercantile
business, which for many years gave Clarendon a position as a leading town in
the county, have been given up, mainly due to the building of the railroads.
The Rutland and Bennington Railroad crosses the town north and south, and
the Vermont Central crosses the northeast corner of the town. These improvements only served to carry to other cities/towns (principally to Rutland) the business of the locality.1
FamilySearch Historical Records Collection has Vermont birth, death, and marriage records online.
The probate district for Clarendon is Rutland.
Rutland Probate Court
83 Center Street
Rutland, VT 05701
The following is a list of cemeteries in present-day Clarendon. For location of cemeteries, see Cemeteries of Vermont, Rutland County, website at this link.
- Cavanaugh Cemetery (also called Briggs Cemetery)
- Chippenhook Cemetery (also called West Clarendon Cemetery)
- Clarendon Flats Cemetery
- Congregational Cemetery
- East Clarendon Cemetery
- Edmunds Cemetery
- Joseph Wait Cemetery
- Matteson Cemetery
- Oki Marsh Cemetery
- Potter Cemetery
- Parker Cemetery
- Rutland Jewish Cemetery,
- Spafford Cemetery
- Smith Cemetery (Pratt Cemetery) (also called Button Cemetery)
- Tubbs Cemetery
1. Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints
637 N Shrewsbury Road
North Clarendon, VT 05759
2. The Brick Church at Clarendon (Congregational)
298 Middle Road
North Clarendon, VT 05759
Town Clerk Vital and Town Records, 1732-2005, can be found on FamilySerach (browse only images) at this link.
The Family History Library has microfilm of original records from the Clarendon Town Hall.
Clarendon Town Clerk
279 Middle Road
Clarendon, VT 05759
Phone: (802) 775-4274
Fax: (802) 775-4274
Rutland Herald online at this link
Libraries and Historical Societies
1. History Rutland County Vermont, Edited by H. P. Smith and W. S. Rann, Syracuse, NY, 1886
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More