Clark County, Kentucky GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Clark County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Clark County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 6, 1792|
Clark County Kentucky Courthouse
34 S Main Street Rm 103
Winchester, KY 40391-2600
Clark County Kentucky History
Clark County Kentucky Places / Localities
|Becknerville||Forest Grove||Mina||Sewell Shop|
|Bel Air||Goffs Corner||Mount Zion||Stoner Creek Settlement (hist.)|
|Bloomingdale||Hampton Manor||Old Pine Grove||Tebbs|
|Bon Haven||Hedges||Pilot View||Trapp|
|Charleston (hist.)||Hunt||Pine Grove||Wesleyan Park|
|Dunaway Station (hist.)||Locust Grove||Rightangle|
|Elkin||Log Lick||Rockwell Village (hist.)|
Clark County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- KY Biographies ~ Jeff Murphy's Kentucky Biographies Project
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Clark Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Clark County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Clark County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Clark County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
For tips on accessing Clark County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
| *USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930|
| The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project |
| *Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project |
| *Census Online ~ Census Online|
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Hall] Hayden, Richard A. "Early Hall Family Pioneers of Frederick County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 37, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1993):163-174. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 37 (1993).
- [Hickman] Jones, L.H. Captain Roger Jones of London and Virginia, Some of His Antecedents and Descendants: With Appreciative Notice of Other Families, viz.: Bathurst, Belford, Browning, Carter, Catesby, Cocke, Graham, Fauntleroy, Hickman, Hoskins, Latane, Lewis, Meriwether, Skelton, Walker, Waring, Woodford, and Others. Albany, N.Y.: Joel Munsell's Sons, Publishers, 1891. Digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archives. 1911 edition: FHL Film 1321070 Item 1; 1985 reprint: FHL Book 929.273 J71jL 1985.
- [Hickman] Buford, Marcus Bainbridge. A Genealogy of the Buford Family in America, With Records of a Number of Allied Families. San Francisco, Calif., 1903. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Hickman] Fay, Mary Smith. "The Three James Hickmans: Identifying Revolutionary War Veterans," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 41, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1997):52-54. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg.
- [Jones] Jones, L.H. Captain Roger Jones of London and Virginia, Some of His Antecedents and Descendants: With Appreciative Notice of Other Families, viz.: Bathurst, Belford, Browning, Carter, Catesby, Cocke, Graham, Fauntleroy, Hickman, Hoskins, Latane, Lewis, Meriwether, Skelton, Walker, Waring, Woodford, and Others. Albany, N.Y.: Joel Munsell's Sons, Publishers, 1891. Digital versions at Google Books; Internet Archives. 1911 edition: FHL Film 1321070 Item 1; 1985 reprint: FHL Book 929.273 J71jL 1985.
- [Lampton] Keith, Clayton. Sketch of the Lampton Family in America, 1740-1914. Louisiana, Mo.: C. Keith, 1914. FHL US/CAN Film 1321273 Item 10; digital version at Ancestry ($).
- [Price] American Ancestry: Giving the Name and Descent, in the Male Line, of Americans Whose Ancestors Settled in the United States Previous to the Declaration of Independence, A.D. 1776. Albany, N.Y.: Joel Munsell's Sons, Publishers, 1898. Vol. 9:128-129. Digital version at Google Books - free.
- [Price] Price, Benjamin Luther. John Price the Emigrant, Jamestown Colony 1620, With Some of His Descendants. Alexandria, La.: B.J. Price, 1910; digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Quisenberry] Quisenberry, Anderson Chenault. Memorials of the Quisenberry Family in Germany, England and America. Washington, D.C.: Gilson Bros., Printers, 1900. Digital version at Internet Archive - free.
- [Stafford] Stafford, Carolyn Joy. The Biography of Thomas Moore Stafford, 1841-1910 of City of Louisville, Clark, and Nicholas Counties, Kentucky and Citrus and Lee Counties, Florida: Saddler, Soldier, Settler. Brandon, Fla.: C.J. Stafford, 2007. FHL Book 921.73 St13s; digital version at Family History Archives.
- [Watts] Heinemann, Charles Brunk. John Watts Family of Clark County, Kentucky: (Watts Family No. 2). 1934?. FHL Book 929.273 W349he.
Local histories are available for Clark County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Clark County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Clark County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 2nd Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Woodward's) - CSA - Company A.
- - 11th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry (Confederate) - CSA - Company C.
- - 22nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Enrolled Militia), Companies A, B, C, F, and G
- - 39th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry, Company A, B, C, D, F, G, I, and K
- - 45th Regiment, Kentucky Infantry, Company K
- - 6th Regiment, Kentucky Cavalry, Company E
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Clark County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the Clark County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Clark County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1793-1868 - Will Books 1 to 19 (1793-1868) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
- 1792 - Burbridge, Sandra, submitter. "1792 Tax Roll for Clark County, Kentucky", Clark County KyGenWeb.
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Clark County, Kentucky Genealogy is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Clark County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Clark County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1861 - Clark County Birth Index 1852-1861. Batch C517231 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Clark County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517232 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1876 - Clark County Birth Index 1875-1876. Batch C517233 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1829-1853 - Clark County Marriage Index 1829-1853. Batch M539821 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1859 - Clark County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517231 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Clark County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517234 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Clark County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517235 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1895 - Clark County Marriage Index 1895. Batch M517231 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Clark County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
Clark County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Clark County KYGenWeb
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Clark County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Clark County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Clark County, Kentucky page 269, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 4.3 4.4 4.5 4.6 4.7 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.