Clay County, West VirginiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Clay County West Virginia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Clay County, West Virginia|
Location in the state of West Virginia
Location of West Virginia in the U.S.
|Founded||March 29, 1858|
|Address|| Clay County Courthouse|
207 Main Street
Clay, WV 25043
Clay County Website
County Clerk has Birth Death Marriage records from 1858
See an interactive map of Clay County boundary changes.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Clay County, West Virginia census records online, see: West Virginia Census.
Records are available:
- West Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
World War I
West Virginia, Naturalization Records, 1814-1991
Online West Virginia Tax site
West Virginia real and personal property tax records are managed by the County Assessor in each county. Land and land improvements are considered real property while mobile property is classified as personal property.
Many County Assessors offer an online searchable database, where assessment record searches can be performed by name, account number, year, or mp/parcel number. Where online records are not available, requests for records can be made to the Assessment Office in person, by phone, or in writing.
The search for tax information can start here
. Includes marriages 1858-1969 - free.
Societies and Libraries
Clay County, West Virginia Historical Society
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List for West Virginia
- Clay County, West Virginia Microfilms at the Library of Virginia
- Clay County, West Virginia Families
- Neal's of Clay and Nicholas Counties, West Virginia
- Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Clay County, West Virginia. Page 743 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ "Henry Clay," Wikipedia.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Ronald R. Turner, 7th West Virginia Cavalry (Manassas, Va.: R.R. Turner, 1989). Digital version at Raleigh County West Virginia GenWeb; FHL Book 975.4 M2t.