Clermont County, Ohio Genealogy
From FamilySearch Wiki
(Added intro and headings)
(Added Vital Records intro)
|Line 131:||Line 131:|
==== Vital Records ====
==== Vital Records ====
===== Birth =====
===== Birth =====
Revision as of 21:53, 1 February 2013
|Clermont County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Clermont County Courthouse|
4430 State Route 222
Batavia, Ohio 45103
Clermont County Website
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Hamilton County 6 December 1800.
- County Seat: Batavia
- Neighboring Counties: Clermont County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Warren (north) · Clinton (northeast) · Campbell County, Kentucky, Pendleton County, Kentucky, and Bracken County, Kentucky (south) · Hamilton (west) · Brown (east)
See an interactive map of Clermont County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
- Old Bethel Cemetery, Bethel BillionGraves
- Bethel Cemetery, Bethel BillionGraves (newer and larger cemetery)
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Clermont County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Clermont County.
- - 1st Independent Battery, Ohio Light Artillery, a battery is like a company in an artillery regiment.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Clermont County, Ohio Genealogy newspapers may contain genealogical value including obituaries, births, marriages, deaths, anniversaries, family gatherings, family travel, achievements, business notices, engagement information, and probate court proceedings.
To access newspapers, contact public libraries, Ohio Genealogical Society chapters, college or university libraries, the Library of Congress, Google News, or the Ohio Historical Society. The Ohio Genealogical Society Obituary Database is another source of newspaper information.
For more Ohio newspaper information see the Newspaper Guides on the wiki page Ohio Newspapers.
Online Newspaper Abstracts
Newspaper Extracts and Abstracts in Book Form
Clermont County Courthouse
212 E Main Street
Batavia, OH 45103
Probate Court has birth and death records 1867-1950, marriage and probate records from 1800 and naturalization records from 1860’s.
Court Clerk has divorce records from 1861 and court records from 1803.
Family History Centers
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Ohio enacted a statute in 1856 -1857 requiring registration of births, deaths and marriages, many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1867 but, again, was not always followed. By 1908, the law was more clearly defined and kept. Any existing birth and death records from 1867 through December 19, 1908 are located at the Clermont County, Ohio Genealogy Probate Court. The Ohio Department of Health has birth records filed after December 20, 1908 and death records filed after January 1, 1954 while the Ohio Historical Society houses death records from December 20, 1908 through December 31, 1953.
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
Places / Localities
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 541, Clermont County, Ohio. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Clermont County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clermont_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
|This Ohio-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More