Clitheroe, Lancashire

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(added info and links)
m (Text replace - "http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census" to "")
Line 45: Line 45:
 
{{British Census|306896}}  
 
{{British Census|306896}}  
  
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
+
 
  
 
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
 
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====

Revision as of 12:15, 29 September 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

St Mary Magdalene's Church, Clitheroe.jpeg

Contents

Chapelry History

Clitheroe St Mary Magdalene Church Street was created a chapel of ease by 1570, taken from and lying within the boundary of  Whalley, Lancashire Ancient Parish.

The name Clitheroe is thought to come from the Anglo-Saxon for "Rocky Hill", and was also spelled Clyderhow and Cletherwoode. The town was the administrative centre for the Honour of Clitheroe (previously spelled Honor). This land was held by Roger de Poitou, who passed it to the De Lacy family from whom it passed in 1311 to Thomas, Earl of Lancaster. Up until 1835, the Lord of the Honour was also by right Lord of Bowland.

The town's earliest existing charter is from 1283, granted by Henry de Lacy, Earl of Lincoln and confirming rights granted by one of his forebears between 1147 and 1177.

There has been a church on this site since at least 1122, when the building was granted to the Priory of St John in Pontefract. The chancel arch of this Norman building was taken down as recently as 1828, but nothing now remains of it. The oldest of what we see today dates from the early C15 rebuilding. In 1828-9 and later there was further and substantial rebuilding.

The Diocese of Blackburn is a Church of England diocese, covering much of Lancashire, created in 1926 from part of the Diocese of Manchester. The Diocese includes the towns of Blackburn, Blackpool, Burnley, and the cities of Lancaster, and Preston, as well as a large part of the Ribble Valley.

"CLITHEROE St Mary] an unincorporated borough, market-town, and parochial chapelry, and the head of a union, in the parish of Whalley, Higher division of the hundred of Blackburn, N. division of the county of Lancaster, on the eastern bank of the Ribble, 30 miles north of Manchester.

The chapelry consists of the townships of Chatburn, Clitheroe, Heyhouses, Mearley, and Worston (which see).  In 1838, an additional church, dedicated to St. James, was erected by subscription. At Chatburn and Heyhouses are other chapels.

There are places of worship for Independents, Methodists, and Roman Catholics.[1] 

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Online index of Lancashire Births, Marriages and Deaths Lancashire BMD

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/



Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306896.


Poor Law Unions

Clitheroe Poor Law Union, Lancashire

Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Reference


  1. A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 639-644. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50885 Adapted. Date accessed: 29 June 2010.