Coeur d'Alene IndiansEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
To get started in American Indian Research
|This Indians of North America-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.|
Tribe's native name is Skitswish
Linguistic group: Salishan
The Coeur d'Alene Tribe is primarily associated with the state of Idaho. Ancestral homeland included northern Idaho and eastern Washington.
Coeur d'Alene Tribe
P. O. Box 408
Plummer, ID 83851
- Official web site of the Coeur d'Alene Tribe
1842: Catholic mission established by Pierre Jean de Smet
1858: Chief Vincent attacked settlement; defeated by Col. George Wright at Four Lakes and Spokane Plains
1867:Part of the Tribe placed on the Coeur d'Alene Reservation in Idaho
1872:Part of the Tribe removed to Colville Reservation in Washington
Additional References to the History of the Tribe
This tribe is primarily associated with the Coeur d'Alene Reservation in Idaho.
Colville Agency, 1865-1952 (location of original records: Seattle Post, 1885 Census M595 roll number: 43-45,49-56,30)
Correspondence and Census
|Tribe||Agency||Location of Original Records||
Pre-1880 Correspondence M234 RG 75 Rolls 962
|FHL Film Number||
Post-1885 Census M595 RG 75 Rolls 693
|FHL Film Number|
|Coeur d'Alene||Colville Agency, 1865-1952||Seattle||-||Rolls 43-454, 49-56,30||FHL Films:574208-574215|
- Coeur d'Alene Agency births and deaths,from supplimental census rolls (M595)1920-1938 FHL Film: 574215
1918-1935. FHL Film: 1030792 item 2
Important Web Sites
- Constitution and By-Laws of the Coeur d'Alene Tribe Idaho, approved August 8, 1947
- Official web site of the Coeur d'Alene Tribe
- Coeur d'Alene Tribe Wikipedia
- ↑ Indian Entities Recognized and Eligible To Receive Services From the United States Bureau of Indian Affairs, Federal Register, Vol. 67, No. 134, 12 July 2002 Available online
- Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives; Record Group 75, Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs.
- Hodge, Frederick Webb. Handbook of American Indians North of Mexico. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1906 Available online.
- Klein, Barry T., ed. Reference Encyclopedia of the American Indian. Nyack, New York: Todd Publications, 2009. 10th ed. WorldCat 317923332; FHL book 970.1 R259e.
- Malinowski, Sharon and Sheets, Anna, eds. The Gale Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. Detroit: Gale Publishing, 1998. 4 volumes. Includes: Lists of Federally Recognized Tribes for U.S., Alaska, and Canada – pp. 513-529 Alphabetical Listing of Tribes, with reference to volume and page in this series Map of “Historic Locations of U.S. Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Canadian Native Groups” Map of “Historic Locations of Mexican, Hawaiian and Caribbean Native Groups” Maps of “State and Federally Recognized U.S. Indian Reservations. WorldCat 37475188; FHL book 970.1 G131g.
- Vol. 1 -- Northeast, Southeast, Caribbean
- Vol. 2 -- Great Basin, Southwest, Middle America
- Vol. 3 -- Arctic, Subarctic, Great Plains, Plateau
- Vol. 4 -- California, Pacific Northwest, Pacific Islands
- Sturtevant, William C. Handbook of North American Indians. 20 vols., some not yet published. Washington, DC: Smithsonian Institution, 1978– .
- Volume 1 -- Not yet published
- Volume 2 -- Indians in Contemporary Society (pub. 2008) -- WorldCat 234303751
- Volume 3 -- Environment, Origins, and Population (pub. 2006) -- WorldCat 255572371
- Volume 4 -- History of Indian-White Relations (pub. 1988) -- WorldCat 19331914; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.4.
- Volume 5 -- Arctic (pub. 1984) -- WorldCat 299653808; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.5.
- Volume 6 -- Subarctic (pub. 1981) -- WorldCat 247493742; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.6.
- Volume 7 -- Northwest Coast (pub. 1990) -- WorldCat 247493311
- Volume 8 -- California (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 13240086; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.8.
- Volume 9 -- Southwest (pub. 1979) -- WorldCat 26140053; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.9.
- Volume 10 -- Southwest (pub. 1983) -- WorldCat 301504096; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.10.
- Volume 11 -- Great Basin (pub. 1986) -- WorldCat 256516416; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.11.
- Volume 12 -- Plateau (pub. 1998) -- WorldCat 39401371; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.12.
- Volume 13 -- Plains, 2 vols. (pub. 2001) -- WorldCat 48209643
- Volume 14 -- Southeast (pub. 2004) -- WorldCat 254277176
- Volume 15 -- Northwest (pub. 1978) -- WorldCat 356517503; FHL book 970.1 H191h v.15.
- Volume 16 -- Not yet published
- Volume 17 -- Languages (pub. 1996) -- WorldCat 43957746
- Volume 18 -- Not yet published
- Volume 19 -- Not yet published
- Volume 20 -- Not yet published
- Swanton John R. The Indian Tribes of North America. Smithsonian Institution, Bureau of American Ethnology, Bulletin #145 Available online.
- Waldman, Carl. Encyclopedia of Native American Tribes. New York, New York: Facts on File, 2006. 3rd ed. WorldCat 14718193; FHL book 970.1 W146e 2006.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News