Colonial Wars, 1607 to 1763Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
List of Colonial Wars
The following are the wars that occurred before 1775 in what is now the United States. (May not be complete)
|Date||Name of the War|
|1675-1676||King Philip's War|
|1689-1697||King William's War|
|1702-1713||Queen Anne's War|
|1744-1748||King George's War|
|1755-1763||French and Indian War|
|1774||Lord Dunmore's War|
States Involved in Colonial Wars
Connecticut, Delaware, Florida (was part of Spain), Georgia, Kentucky (was part of Virginia), Maine (disputed between Mass. and France), Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Tennessee (was part of NC), Vermont (disputed between NH and NY), Virginia, and West Virginia (was part of Virginia).
Canadian Provinces Involved in Colonial Wars
- New Brunswick (French)
- Newfoundland (British and French)
- Nova Scotia (British and French)
- Ontario (British and French)
- Quebec (British and French)
Where to Find Records
Many colonists served in local militias and participated in King William’s War (1689–97), Queen Anne's War (1702-1713), King George’s War (1744–48), and the French and Indian War (1754–63). Because these were local units and not part of the British Army, any surviving records are in historical societies and state libraries and archives.
The Family History Library has copies of many of the records that have been published. These are found in Place Search in the Family History Library Catalog under:
- [STATE] ‑ MILITARY RECORDS
- [STATE], [COUNTY] ‑ MILITARY RECORDS
- [STATE], [COUNTY], [CITY] ‑ MILITARY RECORDS
- Gallay, Alan, ed.Colonial Wars of North America 1512–1763: An Encyclopedia. New York, New York: Garland Publishing, 1996. (FHL book 973 M2cw.) Contains short essays with references on people, events and topics from the Spanish conquistadors to Pontiac Wars of 1763.
- Lydon, James G. Struggle For Empire: A Bibliography of the French and Indian War.
Veterans and Lineage Society Records
The General Society of Colonial Wars
This society was established in 1893 and has no permanent headquarters. For information on the society check the current edition of:
- "Encyclopedia of Associations" by Maurer, Christine and Tara E. Sheets, eds. 33rd edition. Vol. 1, pt 2. Annual. Detroit: Gale, 1998. Section 12. (FHL 973 E4gr) (Worldcat) Provides addresses and phone numbers as well as a description of the organizations, their publications, and references to any library or research materials they maintain.
The Family History Library has the following records of this society:
- Register of Members: FHL film 528677-528676
- Lineage Papers: FHL films528677-528676
- Supplemental Records: FHL films 528677-528676
- Index: FHL films 528677-528676
For the complete listing of film numbers, look in the Place Search of theFamily History Library Catalog under:
- UNITED STATES - SOCIETIES
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News