Colorado GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
- This article is about the western state of the U.S. For other uses, see Colorado (disambiguation).
|News and Events|
|Colorado Genealogy Topics|
|Did You Know?|
| Welcome to Colorado,|
the Centennial State
Most pre-statehood settlers of Colorado began arriving at the time of the gold rush of 1858. They came from the northeastern and midwestern states, especially New York, Illinois, Missouri, Ohio, and Pennsylvania. Some came from the New Mexico Territory, and a few settlers came from the southern states, the Pacific Coast, and from other countries including England, Ireland, Germany, Sweden, Scotland, and Wales. Latter-day Saint settlements were made in the San Luis Valley in the 1870s and 1880s.
The Plains Indians of Colorado, including the Arapaho, the Cheyenne, the Kiowa, and the Comanche, had largely been removed to Indian Territory in Oklahoma by 1870. The Ute Indians living in western Colorado did not give up their lands to white settlement until after 1880, when most of them were moved to reservations in Utah.
- Find which county a town is in, what town a cemetery is in, even where a postoffice or building is by using the United States Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
- The Colorado GenWeb Project has a wealth of information.
- USGenWeb Archives Project for Colorado, collected genealogical information. Also has search page
- Colorado Trails to the Past - free online genealogical & historical information
- USGenNet Index for Colorado, links to various genealogical sites/organization for Colorado.
- Access Genealogy: Colorado Genealogy has a wealth of information.
- Roots-L Colorado Resources - Colorado Genealogical and Historical Resources on the Net
- Family History 101 Colorado - State of Colorado Genealogy, Family History, Ancestry and Records Resources
- Cyndi's List of Genealogical Sites on the Internet for Colorado
- BYU Research Outline for Colorado - downloads PDF file.
Things you can do
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need to be done. You can help by:
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News