Colton, LancashireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Colton Holy Trinity was an Ecclesiastical Parish in the county of Lancashire, created by 1623 from Hawkshead, Lancashire Ancient Parish. See also a List of Chapelries in Colton Parish and, a List of Chapelries in Hawkshead Parish
Other places in the parish include: Bethecar Moor, Nibthwaite, Colton West, and Colton East.
Colton is a village in Cumbria since 1974 (historically part of Lancashire), England. Its name has been recorded as Coleton (which is Old English for 'village') and Coulton, and its existence has been recorded as early as 1202. The settlement is situated on an incline, at the top of which is Colton Church, which was built in 1575 and rebuilt 25 years later. Colton Beck, which runs beside the village, was once known as Cole, meaning 'hazel stream'.[The local parish council is also named Colton, and includes Finsthwaite, Lakeside, Oxen Park, Nibthwaite, Bouth, and Rusland in its boundary.
The modern parish is in the diocese of Carlisle.
"COULTON [or Colton] (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster; comprised also the chapelries of Haverthwaite and Rusland and the parochial chapelry of Finsthwaite. East Coulton is 5 miles north by east from Ulverston." See also the chapels of Haverthwaite, Rusland, and Finsthwaite. There was built also a meeting-house for the Society of Friends here.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Lancashire Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/
|Church Name (Year Registers Began)||FS||LOPC||AC|
|COLTON HOLY TRINITY*||1623-1655 1676-1812||1811-1825||None|
|Finsthwaite - 1726||1726-1812||1811-1825||None|
|COLTON HOLY TRINITY PARISH Indexes|
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 306914.
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..
- ↑ A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 700-702. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50899 Date accessed: Adapted. 29 June 2010.