Community Meeting Agenda 1 September 2009Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Be bold! Post your agenda items!
Feel free to post on the agenda any items you wish to cover during the meeting. If your item requires details or feedback, post some details on the discussion page and link to the discussion from the agenda.
- Assignment of time keeper and note taker
- Introduction of new members: 10 seconds for name and desired takeaways.
- Review of Minutes
- Today's agenda preview
DimDim ain't the solution so far
Last Community Group meeting, I mentioned that I'd look at DimDim as a technology to allow the community to meet without an employee. However, DimDim was lamelame. Ritcheymt 19:59, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
- There was a somewhat lively discussion on the Manual of Style Discussion page back in June and July regarding Portal/Unportal. That discussion was supposed to end around the 1st of July. Was consensus ever reached on this matter? Jbparker 01:20, 26 August 2009 (UTC)
- The consensus was reached back in May, just before the NGS conference in Raleigh, North Carolina. As you can see the Portals are changing one at a time. USA, Pennsylvania, Maryland, North Carolina.... Great Britain's counties are already "Unportal". Dsammy 03:11, 26 August 2009 (UTC)
- Yes, I remember the lively discussion and it was suggested that people try converting pages. However, I personally do not remember that a consensus was actually achieved. If it was, I would think that it would have been noted in the MoS and the document would have made it to the consensus reached area. Thomas Lerman 17:15, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
What is consensus?
- There also was the start of a discussion on "What is consensus?" on the Manual of Style Discussion Page back in June. It appears to me that further discussion is needed on this matter so we can reach "consensus" on "consensus." (Is this a redundant tautology?) Jbparker 01:27, 26 August 2009 (UTC)
- As I recall, someone is going to report back (not me) on their findings on this subject in Wikipedia in today's meeting. Thomas Lerman 17:15, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
If I recall from last week's meeting, people were going to copy items from the meetings that were not held into this week's agenda. Since I missed one of the meetings since that time, I do not know what has been covered and what has not. Thomas Lerman 17:17, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
- NOTES FROM MEETING: Each person that included an agenda item should take the item over if it has not been discussed (or it was discussed in a meeting without knowledge). Thomas Lerman 21:22, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
National Scout Jamboree
Four years ago was the first time the Genealogy Merit Badge was offered at the National Scout Jamboree. I helped at that booth as well as a little at another booth, but my primary responsibility was with the Electricity Merit Badge Booth. The booth was sponsored by FamilySearch and a local Family History Center. It will be at the next Jamboree which will be next August with the same sponsors. I am hoping to go and if I do, I would more than likely be at this or one other booth. As I think about it, I wonder how the Wiki may be able to help. It seems as though that a page with requirements and links to pages that may help could be a very nice start . . . especially if the boys would have access to it before the Jamboree so they can get started on it. I would like some discussion on this if possible. Thomas Lerman 17:42, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
- NOTES FROM MEETING: Judy Wolverton will be e-mailing me a packet that she has put together. I will be registering and contacting http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Genealogy to see about cross linking that site and this one. I have not found much at the official National site. Thomas Lerman 21:23, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
Inappropriate Contributions Right Under Radar
There has been a rash of inappropriate contributions. I contacted the person and explain what is appropriate and not appropriate, including databases which were not appropriate. I even merged small ones into other articles. Still there are some pages I know, will infuriate somewhat some teams. How do we go about it to clean up the contributions this person as well as any others in future make to the FSWiki? I do not wish to name this contributor on this agenda. If I give direction in the user group, that will be great, leading to the list of contributions this person made. Dsammy 17:48, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
WorldCat - worldwide vs. regional
A discussion concerning the use of WorldCat for regional libraries versus the libraries in ones locality (according to IP address) throughout the world may be viewed at the Template's discussion page. Discussing this would be appropriate. Thomas Lerman 18:24, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
- NOTES FROM MEETING: Not enough time, next week. Thomas Lerman 21:28, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
A discussion concerning interwiki links being treated as internal or external links may be viewed at the Template's discussion page. Discussion on this subject would seem appropriate. Thomas Lerman 18:39, 1 September 2009 (UTC)
- NOTES FROM MEETING: Someone brought up http://www.placeopedia.com/ to discuss too. Not enough time, next week. Thomas Lerman 21:28, 1 September 2009 (UTC)