Comprehensive List of Liverpool Parishes and ChapelriesEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Return to the Liverpool St Peter and St Nicholas page.
Liverpool was a chapelry in the parish of Walton until 1698, when it was constituted a distinct parish.
Liverpool is one of the largest township (population-wise) centres in the whole of England; by 1851, it was almost as populated as Greater London with over 2 million inhabitants. It's comprised of a parish and numerous chapelries.
During the height of the Industrial Revolution, numerous additional smaller churches called chapelries or chapels of ease (a district within an ancient parish assigned to a chapel) were created to handle the burgeoning populations. These chapelries kept church registers of baptisms, usually some burials and in only a few cases, marriages--many of which are ancient in origin.
Below is a comprehensive list of all the chapelries associated with the civil parish of St Nicholas Liverpool as of 1851. By far the vast majority of the church registers (of which many are now transcribed and online) for Liverpool are available at the Lancashire Record Office in Preston. These are also microfilmed and available at The Family History Library and its 4,600 satellite Family History Centers worldwide.
Recognizing that all authoritative treatises on Lancashire civil parishes differ--some much more than others--in their data regarding all Liverpool [ecclesiastical] districts and townships with chapelries, of necessity several key reference publications and resources have been used to compile the following Comprehensive List of Liverpool Parishes and all its associated chapelries [under consrtuction]:
- Liverpool, All Saints Great Nelson St - 1835
- Liverpool, All Saints Grosvenor - 1798 .(closed in 1845) Liverpool, Blessed Virgin Mary
- Liverpool, Christ Church, Hunter St - 1799
- Liverpool, Holy Trinity – 1792
- Liverpool, Mariner's Church - 1827
- Liverpool, St Alban's – 1846 (a.k.a. Bevington Church)
- Liverpool, St Andrew's - 1815
- Liverpool, St Anne's, Richmond - 1773
- Liverpool, St Barnabas – 1841
- Liverpool, St Bartholomew's – 1841
- Liverpool, St Bride's - 1831
- Liverpool, St Catherine's - 1831
- Liverpool, St David's - 1827
- Liverpool, St George's - 1734
- Liverpool, St John's - 1767
- Liverpool, St John the Baptist - 1832
- Liverpool, St Luke's - 1831
- Liverpool, St Mark's - 1815
- Liverpool, St Martin-in-the Fields - 1829
- Liverpool, St Mary-for-the-Blind Church - 1829
- Liverpool, St Mathias' - 1834
- Liverpool, St Matthew's - 1798
- Liverpool, St Michael's - 1826
- Liverpool, St Nicholas' - 1659
- Liverpool, St Paul's - 1769
- Liverpool, St Peter's - 1704
- Liverpool, St Philip's - 1817
- Liverpool, St Saviour's - 1841
- Liverpool, St Silas' - 1841
- Liverpool, St Simon's - 1827
- Liverpool, St Stephen's - 1792
- Liverpool, St Thomas' - 1750
Also part of the civil parish of Liverpool are the following chapelries which formed the southern suburb of Liverpool:
- Toxteth Park St James - 1775
- Toxteth Park St Clement - 1841
- Toxteth Park St John the Baptist - 1832
- Toxteth Park St Matthew - 1848 (chapelry registers are only available at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston)
- Toxteth Park St Paul - 1848
- Toxteth Park St Thomas-in-the-Fields - 1840 (chapelry registers are only available at the Lancashire Record Office, Preston)
- Toxteth Park St Michael in the Hamlet - 1815 (extra parochial)
See also Walton-on-the-Hill Parish and its chapelries, i.e. Everton.
Liverpool also had in-ordinately large Irish population, many of which were Roman Catholic. By 1831, Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of England (published 1831) identified that there were at least five Roman Catholic parishes lying within its boundaries. However, on further study, here is a list all those known Roman Catholic churches within the boundaries of the city--including ten (10) of them; the Family History Library has a few of them (see hyper-links below); there were, prior to 1900, nearly 40 Catholic parishes within Liverpool proper:
St Alban - 1807
St Ethelburga - 1843
St Nicholas - 1813 (some burials)
St Peter – 1788
St Mary, Woolton – 1707 (see their website, with soon-to-be-posted data online
St Swithin - 1758
St Patrick - 1827
St Joseph - 1798
Here are related links to Roman Catholics living in the City of Liverpool area:
- Liverpool Roman Catholic Marriages (64,000) databse online between 1800-1900, with most after 1850
- Liverpool Roman Catholic Baptisms (nearly 115,000) online (eventually over 500,000 entries will be available)
- Liverpool Roman Catholic Burials (1856-1865) - about 35,000 entries
Some of Liverpool's Nonconformist church registers, as well as many Church of England chapelry registers have also been indexed and posted online at the outstanding Lancashire "Online Parish Clerk" project.
Website, "A Church Near You" provides some information on some chapelries and parishes: www.achurchnearyou.com
Website: "Genuki" gives a list of parishes and many of their chapelries, and also some considerable detail about each, and in particular, the year when each church's history begins: www.genuki.org.uk
Guide to the Local Administrative Units of England, by Youngs, Frederic A. Pub: The Royal Historical Society, London 1991
Topographical Dictionary of England. Lewis Samuel. Pub: Samuel A. Lewis & Co. London 1841 &1831
A Comprehensive Gazetteer of England. Bell, James. A. Pub.: Fullarton & Co. Glasgow 1836
Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales. A. Fullarton & Co. Glasgow and London ca. 1869 (see also VisionOfBritain.org.uk)
Atlas & Index to Parish Registers. Edited by Cecil Humphrey-Smith. Pub by Phillimore & Co. Ltd.Chichester, Sussex. 2003.
Lancashire Record Office website: see "Church Registers"
Liverpool Central Library website: search the terms--"baptisms", "marriages" or "burials", or, name of the chapel or church--if known.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News