Conejos County, Colorado GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
The Conejos County Courthouse was built in June 1890, it was destroyed by fire in 1980, at which time it was rebuilt.
1861--Conejos County was created 1 November 1861 as an original county under the name of Guadalupe. The name was changed to Conejos 7 November 1869. County seat: Conejos 
The county land records 1878-1936 and all other county records were lost when the courthouse burned in 1980, except for the Grantee and Grantor books. There are a few marriage records of the late 1940's that remain.
Places / Localities
=== Populated Places
- Fox Creek
- La Jara
- Las Mesitas
- Los Cerritos
- Los Sauces
- Antonito Cemetery
- Church-Capulin Cemetery
- Gomez-Capulin Cemetery
- New Capulin Cemetery
- Conejos Cemetery
- Fox Creek Cemetery (North side of Fox Creek)
- La Jara Cemetery (US Hwy 285, North of La Jara)
- Las Mesitas Cemetery
- Los Cerritos Cemetery
- Los Sauces Catholic Cemetery "Gateway To Heaven"
- Los Sauces Pinacostal Cemetery
- Lobatos Cemetery
- New Manassa Cemetery, (South side of "M" Mountain)
- Old Manassa Cemetery, (South end of Fifth Street, Manassa)
- Martinez Cemetery
- Mogote Cemetery
- Nance Cemetery, (West and South of the Old Manassa Cemetery)
- Ortiz Cemetery
- New Ortiz Cemetery
- Presbyterian Church Cemetery
- San Antonio Cemetery
- Sanford Cememtery, County Rd. 19 (1881-current)
- Seventh-Day Adventist Cemetery
- Sowards Cemetery, (West of the Old Manassa Cemetery)
- Valdez Cemetery
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Conejos Branch 1878-1879
- Eastdale Ward 1894-1908
- La Jara Ward (see Richfield Ward)
- Fox Creek Branch 1893-1894
- Manassa Ward 1892-1897, 1907-1948
- Manassa 1 Ward
- Manassa 2 Ward 1920-1928
- Morgan Branch 1934-1942
- Mountain View Branch 1889-1896
- Richfield Ward 1884-1941
- Romeo Ward 1936-1948
- Sanford Ward 1888-1948
Existing LDS Wards and Branches
- La Jara 1 Ward
- Fox Creek Branch
- Manassa 1 Ward
- Manassa 2 Ward
- Manassa 3 Ward
- Sanford 1 Ward
- Sanford 2 Ward
- San Luis Branch
The Colorado State Archives has put a name only index to the Conjeos County Divorce Records for the period 7/13/1899 to 9/20/1915 on-line.
The Colorado State Archives has put an Index to the Conejos County World War II Enlistments on-line.
The following are on microfilm located in the Family History Center, located in La Jara, Colorado. 719-274-4032.
- The Antonito Ledger (June 1892 - Oct 1972)
- The La Jara Chronicle (Oct 1904 - Dec 1911)
- The La Jara Enterprise (April 1914 - April 1917)
- The La Jara Gazette (April 1916 - Dec 1982)
- The Conejos County Citizen (Jan 1983 - Oct 1993)
- The Conejos County Citizen (July 1996 - Oct 1997)
Colorado State Archives has the Conejos County Inheritance Tax Records Index (1918-1923) online
- Conejos County Old Vital Records, are kept in the Alamosa County Courthouse, 719-589-6681.
Societies and Libraries
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News