Congleton St James,CheshireEdit This Page

From FamilySearch Wiki

Revision as of 16:38, 25 January 2013 by KochG (Talk | contribs)

England Gotoarrow.png Cheshire Gotoarrow.png Cheshire ParishesGotoarrow.png  Congleton St James


Contents

Parish History

CONGLETON, an incorporated market-town, a chapelry, and the head of a union, in the parish of Astbury, having separate jurisdiction, locally in the hundred of Northwich, S. division of the county of Chester, 31 miles (E. by S.) from Chester. The chapel, dedicated to St. Peter. At Congleton Moss, a church was dedicated to the Holy Trinity it was erected in 1845. Two districts or ecclesiastical parishes have been formed under Sir Robert Peel's act: in the one, St. Stephen's district, a chapel has been purchased from the dissenters, in the other, St. James', a church. There are places of worship for Independents, Primitive Methodists, Wesleyans, Unitarians, and Roman Catholics.[1]


Congleton St James was formed in 1847 from  Congleton St Peter,Cheshire and the earlier Ancient parish of  Astbury, Cheshire

In 1847 the district of Astbury contained a population of three thousand four hundred. Under an act known as ‘Sir Robert Peel’s Church Extension Act’, which was designed to make better provision for the spiritual care of populous parishes, the church of St. James was born.

Randle Wilbraham Esq. High Steward of the Borough laid the first stone, a corner stone, on the 29th May 1847. James Trubshaw of Newcastle under Lyme designed the Church. The principal contractor was Samuel Faram of Odd Rode and Edward Massey of Lawton was responsible for the woodwork. The building was paid for by public subscription and grants from the Chester Diocesan Society, the Incorporated Society and the Church Commissioners. The church was consecrated by the Bishop of Chester Dr Graham on Wednesday 27th January 1849

The style of Architecture is that of the transitional period of early English. A characteristic of this period that is clearly visible is the steep roof forming an equilateral triangle to the doorways and windows. The exterior of the church is constructed of Cloud-side gritstone. The roof is covered with Westmoreland pale green slate. The Church consists of Nave, Side Aisles and Chancel, with a porch at the northern end and a bell-cot surmounting the western end of the Nave roof.

The Nave is seventy-seven feet long and twenty-seven foot wide and is separated from the Side Aisles by five pointed arches on each side supported by six pillars formed of white Hollington stone. The high roof is made from pinewood and the carved braces are supported on stone corbels from the inner walls. The Chancel is paved with encaustic tiles, is thirty feet long, seventeen foot wide and thirty five-foot high and divided from the Nave by a high Chancel Arch formed of Hollington stone.

Resources

Church Records

Congleton St James parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:

FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers
FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts
Congleton St James Parish Online Records

Baptisms
Marriages
Burials

Indexes Images Indexes Images Indexes Images
FS PR's 1844-1909
  NONE
1849-1934
  NONE
   NONE
  NONE
FS BT'S 1886-1894
  NONE
   NONE
  NONE
   NONE
  NONE

Parish registers for St. James, Congleton, Cheshire, 1844-1957

An index for Cheshire parish registers is available online at FamilySearch Historical Records(formerly Record Search)

Cheshire Record Office number: P210/1/1-5, 2/1-5, P210/5142/1, P210/5273/1-5.

Contents Film
Baptisms 1844-1901; Marriages 1849-1894. FHL BRITISH Film
1655831 Items 2 - 6
Marriages 1893-1908 FHL BRITISH Film
1655851 Item 1
Baptisms, 1901-1925 Marriages, 1908-1948 FHL BRITISH Film
2093667 Items 11-15
Baptisms, 1925-1957. FHL BRITISH Film
2106997 Item 11
Banns of marriages, 1849-1923. FHL BRITISH Film
2147233 Items 4 - 8


Non-Conformist Churches


Non-Conformist Records


Census Records

Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241249.



Poor Law Unions


Registration Districts

Websites

References

  1. Lewis, Samuel A.,A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), adapted 18 Jan 2013


Bibliography

Title History of Congleton: published to celebrate the 700th anniversary of the granting of the charter to the town
Congleton History Society
Authors W. B. Stephens, Congleton History Society
Editor W. B. Stephens Publisher Manchester University Press ND, 1970
ISBN 0719012457, 9780719012457


 

Need wiki, indexing, or website help? Contact our product teams.


Did you find this article helpful?

You're invited to explain your rating on the discussion page (you must be signed in).