Congregational and Evangelical Union Churches in Dundee--Dundee Angus Parish -282Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This gives a history, a list of record types with year ranges, notes, sources of where this information came from as well as where you can obtain this information.
The West Port Relief Church was formed about 1793. From about 1798, most of the members adopted Congregational views, and from 1804, a Congregational church pastor conducted services there. In 1810, a Congregational church was formed from the union of the Anti–Burgher Church, the West Port Relief Church, and a newly formed congregation that broke from Robert Haldane when he joined the Baptist faith. In that same year the Sailor’s Hall church also united with the others, which met at West Port Chapel, until a new building was opened in 1833, which was then called Ward Chapel. See records below.
A small chapel was located in Burial Wynd from 1803, but that congregation united with the Old Scots Independents in 1812. The Lindsay Street congregation was formed in 1840 by disenchanted Wesleyan Methodists. That congregation ceased in the 1920s.
The Princes Street congregation was formed in 1839 by members of the Ward Chapel who lived in that area. The Trinity Church was also formed by members of the Ward chapel in 1848 and that congregation adhered to the Evangelical Union the following year.
The Reform Street church was formed in 1848 and it joined the Evangelical Union the following year. It united with the Trinity Evangelical Union Church in 1876. The Panmure Street church was formed by members of the Ward Chapel in January 1853. This grew to be nearly the strongest and largest Congregational group in Dundee. The Panmure Street congregation united with the Trinity Evangelical Union to form Panmure Trinity in 1968. In turn, they united with the Ward Chapel in 1984 to form the Dundee Congregational church, which is the only Congregational church remaining in Dundee today.
- A History of Scottish Congregationalism, by Harry Escott 1960, FHL 941 K2es; and The Scottish Congregational Ministry, 1794–1993, by Rev. Dr. William D. McNaughton 1993, FHL 941 K2mwd.
Sources include names of ministers.
Ward Chapel Congregational Church:
- Minute Books, Committee of Management 1838–1917
- Deacon’s Minute Books 1841–1872
- Minute Book, Committee of Supply September 1848–June 1849
- Ledger 1832–1865
Cash Books 1845–1889
- Treasurer’s Account Book, West Port Chapel, 1826–1849
- Minute Book, Committee of Management, West Port Chapel, April. 1832–October.1851
- Communicants’ Roll Book, 1848–1938
- Collections Cash Book, 1822–1860
- Missionary Committee Minute Book, 1854–1857
- West Port Library, Committee of Management Minute Book, 1822–1842
- West Port Library Lists of Subscribers from 1830
Note:Available at the Dundee District Archives, 21 City Square, Dundee, DD1 3BY, Scotland.
The extent of records of other congregations is unknown.
For more information write to:
- The United Reformed Church, Scottish Synod Office
PO Box 189
240 Cathedral Street
Glasgow G1 2BX Scotland
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News