Connecticut Ethnic GroupsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Records and histories of minorities and ethnic groups may provide clues to immigrant origins, migration information and previous residences. See United States Minorities for further sources on ethnic, racial, and religious groups.
Ethnic Research in Connecticut
You can find information on ethnic ancestors in most of the same records as other groups. Start your research in the same resources you would search for non-ethnic ancestors. The records listed on this page provide information about specific groups in Connecticut.
Additional resources for Connecticut ethnic groups may be found in the Connecticut-Minorities topic page of the Family History Library catalog (FHLC). Copies of records on FHL microfilm and microfiche can be ordered for viewing at FamilySearch Centers. Also find Connecticut ethnic resources available at various libraries (WorldCat). Explore how to search WorldCat and the FHLC.
- Brown, Barbara W. and James M. Rose. Black Roots in Southeastern Connecticut, 1650-1900. Detroit, Michigan : Gale Research, 1980. FHL book 974.6 F2b At various libraries (WorldCat)
- Piersen, William D. Black Yankees: The Development of an Afro-American Subculture in Eighteenth Century New England. Amherst, Massachusetts : University of Massachusetts Press, 1988. FHL book 974 F2p
- White, David O. Connecticut's Black Soldiers, 1775-1783. Chester, Connecticut : Pequot Press, 1973. FHL book 974.6 F2w
- African-American Ancestry in Connecticut (AfriGeneas)
- African American Historical and Cultural Society New Haven, Connecticut
Several tribes of American Indians resided in the colony of Connecticut prior to the Revolutionary War. Some of their descendants still live in the state. For more information about Connecticut's American Indians and their records, see Indians of Connecticut.
- Gingras, Raymond. Quelques Francos au Connecticut : Notes, Références, et Index des Nécrologies Parues Dans des Journaux de 1963 à 1975. Québec, Québec : R. Gingras, 1976. FHL book 974.6 F2g At various libraries (WorldCat)
- For more information about Swedish Americans in Connecticut, see Connecticut: Swedish American.
Multiple Ethnic Groups
- Minority Military Service, Connecticut, 1775-1783 WorldCat 20393391
Share Your Opinion!
Give feedback on our new look! Tell us what you like, and what you would do differently.Give Feedback