Conowingo, Cecil County, MarylandEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 04:34, 26 August 2010 by Janedwards
|This Maryland-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Histories and Tidbits
- A Susquehannock Indian fort -located at this point was an important factor in the boundary line controversy between Lord Baltimore and William Penn in 1683. — Map (db m1804)
- Bald Friar Ford & Ferry -Near Pilot, two and one-half miles northwest of this point, lies the site of a Susquehanna fording used by Indians before the coming of the white man. By 1695, a barge provided ferry service to the colonists. The Conowingo Lake now covers the site. On April 12, 1781, Lafayette moved his troops south by way of this ford, followed by Rochambeau’s Artillery and baggage detachments on September 10 of the same year. — Map (db m1806)
- Richards Oak -General Lafayette and his army camped arount this tree April 12, 1781. A Civil War cavalry unit later occupied the site. The oak, over 500 years old was owned by the Thomas Richards family for over a century. A huge limb fell August 1964, splitting the trunk, in 1965 the tree measured 85' in height 24' in girth and 115' in spread. Tree preserved 1922-1960 by Hytheham Club, Port Deposit. Restored 1965 by Historical Society of Cecil County. — Map (db m1758)
- The Proprietors of the Susquehanna Canal - The corporate title of the company authorized in 1783 to build one of the first inland waterways in America. The bed of this canal and some of its stone locks are still visible near this road. — Map (db m1801)
Family History Resources
- Conowingo Baptist MSA S 1512-2122 00/59/06/48