Copenhagen Research: Getting StartedEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Over a quarter of the population of Denmark live in Metropolitan Copenhagen. Copenhagen has had a turbulent history through the years:
- Established 1167. Originally called Havn (The Harbor), later Kiobmaennehavn (The Merchants' Harbor), and now Kobenhavn.
- Fires, Plagues, Wars. Several times between 1249-1536 the town was besieged, sacked, and burned.
- Since 1428 the royal residence and seat of government.
- University established 1479.
- Population decimated by the plague mid-16th century.
- Another plague in 1711, fire in 1728, city bombed in 1807.
- Industrialization - Period of flux, began in earnest in l870s.
- International community. International center & principal crossroads of Northern Europe (shipping, flying, and driving). There were many Germans, Swedes, French, Dutch, and English living here through its history.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News