Copenhagen Research: Getting StartedEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Over a quarter of the population of Denmark live in Metropolitan Copenhagen. Copenhagen has had a turbulent history through the years:
- Established 1167. Originally called Havn (The Harbor), later Kiobmaennehavn (The Merchants' Harbor), and now Kobenhavn.
- Fires, Plagues, Wars. Several times between 1249-1536 the town was besieged, sacked, and burned.
- Since 1428 the royal residence and seat of government.
- University established 1479.
- Population decimated by the plague mid-16th century.
- Another plague in 1711, fire in 1728, city bombed in 1807.
- Industrialization - Period of flux, began in earnest in l870s.
- International community. International center & principal crossroads of Northern Europe (shipping, flying, and driving). There were many Germans, Swedes, French, Dutch, and English living here through its history.