Costilla County, Colorado GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Costilla County Courthouse;
354 Main St; PO Box 100;
San Luis, CO 81152-0100
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1853;
Clerk District Court has divorce, probate and court records.
- Before 1861 this modern Colorado county was in New Mexico.
- 9 January 1852 it was created part of Taos County in New Mexico Territory. 
- 28 February 1861 it was transferred to Colorado  (1 Nov 1861 Costilla County).
- Look for pre-1861 records in New Mexico. For further explanation see Taos County.
- 1 November 1861: Costilla County was created as an original county. County seat: San Luis.
Places / Localities
For tips on accessing Costilla County, Colorado Genealogy census records online, see: Colorado Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Crestmoor (Denver)
- Dale E.
- Denver 1
- Denver 2
- Denver N.
- East Dale
Land and Property
Societies and Libraries
Costilla County Public Library
PO Box 351
418 Gasper Street
San Luis, CO 81152
Phone: (719) 672-3309
Family History Centers
- Costilla County COGenWeb
- Family History Library Catalog
- Colorado State Archives
- Costilla County, Colorado Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 98, Costilla County, Colorado. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publ., 1987), 52. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 X2th.
- ↑ Brief County Histories (New Mexico) in RootsWeb (accessed 21 June 2012).
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Colorado Territory" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopeida at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Territory (accessed 19 June 2012).
- ↑ Adrian B. Ettlinger, AniMap 3.0 : with SiteFinder U.S. place name database (Alamo, Calif.: Gold Bug, 2008), Colorado 1861 map. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL CD-ROM no. 4903.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News