Court of the Bishop of St. David's (Episcopal Consistory)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
This court had some influence in Hereford parishes. See Herefordshire, Pembrokeshire probate jurisdictions for full details.
Step By Step
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will or administration (admin), writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Record Office (see below), or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes to probate records then with the information obtained from the index[es] you can search more quickly the original wills and admins also on microfilm via any centersnear you.
Online Probate Indexes
Here is an online Probate index from 1543-1858 at The National Library of Wales.
Printed and Published Indexes
Probate Indexes 1600-1858
Unproved Wills 1600-1858
Miscellanea Genealogica et Heraldica, Series 5,vol. 4 Index to Wills Proved in the Court of the Bishop of Hereford 1444-1578
Index to wills proved in the Bishop's Court of Hereford 1442-1579, by Stephen J. Kelsey
Index to wills proved in the Bishop's Court of Hereford Before the Commonwealth Period 1601-1656 by Stephen J. Kelsey
The original and microfilmed records include indexes. The Family History Library has film copies of the following indexes:
- Probate Index, 1556-1858
- Probate indexes and abstracts, 1670-1858
- Episcopal Consistory Court of the Bishop of Hereford - Calendar of wills, 1700-1802
- Indexes to Original Wills & Administrations
- Index to wills and inventories 1517-1663
- Index to wills proved in the Bishop's Court of Hereford 1442-1579; also in FHL book
- Index to wills proved in the Bishop's Court of Hereford Before the Commonwealth Period 1601-1656; also in FHL book
Powys County Archives Office
Powys County Hall
Spa Road East
Tel: 44 (0)1597 826088
Original Wills, Administrations, & Inventories 1564; 1578; 1582--1858 (many missing years)
Register Copy Wills 1703-1858
Act Books 1836-1858
Family History Library Records
- Admons, wills, and inventories, 1556-1858
- Wills and administrations 1564-1836
- Wills, administrations, inventories 1694-1858 (many missing years) with index
- Will 1603-1703
This court held jurisdiction over the counties of Pembrokeshire, Cardiganshire, Carmarthenshire and the following Glamorgan parishes:
- This page was last modified on 12 June 2015, at 02:19.
- This page has been accessed 1,111 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News