Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of YorkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Return to the Lancashire Probate Records page.
Location of These Probate Records
Borthwick Institute for Archives
University of York
York YO10 5DD
Tel. (0)1904 321166
Opening Times: Mon-Fri 9:15am - 4:45pm
The Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of York held concurrent jurisdiction over some parishes of Lancshire. Boundaries of this probate jurisdictions include parishes in portions of counties Cumberland and Yorkshire. When a search of this courts’ probate records fails to provide the desired probate record, be sure to search the Prerogative Court of the Archbishop of York as well.<br>
Starting Your Search in Indexes
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed then to the "Probate Records of This Court" section (see below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Lancashire Record Office, or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf, citing information obtained from the index[es]. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. You can also visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes (see the Family History Library's cataloged entries providing the microfilms so you can have them circulated to the center near you for searching the wills). The information obtained from the index[es] will help you more quickly search the wills and admons which can also be circulated on microfilm via any family history .
Surviving wills and admons to the Court of the Bishop (Consistory) of the Commissary of the Archdeaconry of Richmond Western Deaneries - Amounderness probate records have to some extent been indexed with the following ones:<br>
Printed and Published Indexes
- Lancashire wills and inventories, 1267 to 1500, now preserved at Borthwick Institute in the City of York
Indexes to Yorkshire wills are beginning to come online. Though advertised otherwise, wills online are currently only available at britishorigins for the following years:
Medieval Probate Index - 1267- 1500 Peculiars Probate Index - 1383-1883 York Prerogative & Exchequer Court Probate Index - 1842-1858
. indexes to the probate record holdings of The Borthwick Institute for Archives, including wills, inventories and associated records from 1320s to 1858.
Original Handwritten Indexes
Microfilmed Indexes at the Family History Library<br>
The indexes as listed in the above are also available covering the years 1688-1731 at The Family History Library and they are on microfilm and may be circulated to each of its satellite Family History Centers worldwide.
Searching for probates in this court.
This court's jurisdiction applies three Lancashire Parishes including Broughton, Kirkby Irelyth, and Seathwaite. The records for this court include as follows:
ORIGINAL WILLS, ADMINISTRATIONS (ADMONS), INVENTORIES, TUITIONS 1383-1858
REGISTER OF COPY WILLS 1321-1558;1557-1638
ABSTRACT BOOK 1774-1847
INVENTORIES 14th - 17th Centuries
Strategies, Tips, Other?
See the above Indexes or those available through the Family History Library or its many family history centers worldwide for an index to this court.
To view a list of parishes and their respective probate court jurisdiction, see the "Lancashire Parishes and Their Probate Jurisdictions" on the main page for Lancashire Probate Records.