Covington County, Mississippi GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Mississippi-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Covington County Courthouse
PO Box 1679
Collins, MS 39428
Clerk Chancery Court has marriage, divorce and probate records from 1900,
court and land records from 1860. 
1904--Some records were lost.
For tips on accessing Covington County, Mississippi Genealogy census records online, see: Mississippi Census.
- 1870 - 1870 State Census Returns, courtesy: FamilySearch - free.
- 1878 Enumeration of Educable Children can be found after the 1878 enumeration for Copiah County on FamilySearch and is currently (Dec. 2012) listed under Copiah, not Covington or "Mulitple Counties"- starts at image 276. It also available online from the Mississippi Archives. Both are free.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Civil War service men from Covington County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Covington County.
- - 7th Battalion, Mississippi Infantry
- Company G - Covington Sharpshooters
- - 7th Regiment, Mississippi Infantry
- Company I - Covington Rifles, aka Covington Rangers
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Covington County, Mississippi page 379, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News