Craig County, Virginia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Southwest Virginia county.
- Lost census: 1890
For a detailed list, including addresses, phone numbers, and external links, see Craig County, Virginia Cemeteries.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Craig County:
- Tombstone Transcription Project Craig County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
- Burton, Charles T. Botetourt County, Va., 1785 Enumeration. Troutville, Va.: Burton?, 1972. Available at FHL; digital version at Ancestry ($). [All of part of present-day county of Craig is included.]
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
Craig County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than a dozen online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Craig County families include:
- Groseclose, Wanda W. In the Shadows of Our Ancestors, Descendants of Thomas Abbott and Twenty-six Connected Pioneer Families of Craig County, Virginia: including Brickey, Britts, Brizendine, Caldwell, Carper, Craft, Crawford, Crowder, Damewood, Duncan, Elmore, Fisher, Francisco, Greenway, Huffman, Hutchison, Jones, Lafon, Lee, Leffel, Looney, Lucas, Lugar, Paitsel, Reynolds and Sarver. 2 vols. Provo, Utah: Brigham Young University Press, 2004. FHL Collection 929.273 Ab29g v. 1
- Keeney, Roscoe C. Census, Craig Co., Virginia, 1860 Annotated. Charleston, W. Va.: R.C. Keeney, 199-?. FHL Collection 975.5795 X2k 1860
- [Williams] Williams, Herman Joseph. The George Philip Williams of Craig County, Virginia and Aylett Weaver of Monroe County, West Virginia Genealogical Compilation. Portsmouth, Ohio: H.J. Williams, 1981. FHL Collection 929.273 W672wh
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Craig County, p. 68.]
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Craig County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 8, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1964):26-27. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
- Fridley, Beth. Craig County, Virginia Births, 1853-96 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 1999. Available at Ancestry ($).
- Fridley, Beth, comp. Craig County, Virginia Deaths, 1853-96 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2001. Available at Ancestry ($).
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ USGS Map, Topozone.com