Crawford County, Arkansas GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Crawford County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||October 18, 1820|
|County Seat||Van Buren|
It was named in honor of William H. Crawford, President Monroe's Secretary of the Treasury.
Parts of the county were taken for various new counties:
- Washington 27 October 1828
- Pope 2 November 1829
- Scott 5 November 1833
- Franklin 19 December 1837
- Sebastian 5 January 1851
- in 1828, part of the Osage and Cherokee Territory was added to the county.
See an interactive map of Crawford County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
On March 23, 1877, the courthouse was destroyed by fire and all records were destroyed except those of the treasurer and a few deeds and mortgages. Since that date however the records are complete and are kept in fire-proof vaults.
Alma | Cedarville | Chester | Dyer | Kibler | Mountainburg
Mulberry | Natural Dam | Rudy | Uniontown | Van Buren
Crawford County Cemetery Index - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Tombstone Transcription Project - USGenWeb Project
Alexander Cemetry, Alma City Cemetery, Bidville Cemetery, Bolton Cemetery, Bryant Cemetery, Dugan Cemetery, Dyer Cemetery,Fairview Cemetery, Gregory Cemetery, Hall Cemetery, Hillcrest Cemetery, Liberty Hill Cemetry, Love Cemetery, Morrison Cemetery, Rudy, New Cemetery, Newberry Chapel Cemetery, Peters Cemetery, Sarah Grove, Steward Cemetery
Crawford County Church Index - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Wills and Probate Index - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Biography Index - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Disaster/Epidemic Index - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Family Group Sheets Index - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Crawford County Family Website Index - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Crawford County Map Index - Crawford Coiunty ARGenWeb
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Arkansas, Crawford County on page 191.]
- Rejected or Suspended Applications for Revolutionary War Pensions. Washington, D.C., 1852. Reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 1969, and 1991. Reprints include "an Added Index to States." FHL Collection 973 M24ur; digital version at Ancestry ($). [Includes veterans from this county; Arkansas section begins on page 439.]
- United States Colored Troops of Crawford County, Arkansas this site gives history and information on burial and a Headstone Project.
- Men from Crawford County served in the 1st Regiment Arkansas Infantry (Union) *
- Men from Crawford County served in the 5th Regiment, Arkansas Militia (Confederate) *Arkansas. Adjutant General's Office.Report of the Adjutant General of Arkansas, for the period of the late rebellion, and to November 1, 1866,Bethesda, Maryland : University Publications of America, c1990.
- Men from this county served in the 3rd Regiment, Arkansas Cavalry (Union). Allen, Desmond Walls. Third Arkansas Union Cavalry (Desmond Walls Allen: Conway, Arkansas) 1987, pp. 33-92.
Submitted Crawford County Obituaries - USGenWeb Archives Project
Newspaper Article Index - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Tax Lists - Crawford County ARGenWeb
1830 Census - USGenWeb Archives
US Federal Census Records - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Slave Schedules - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Pension Rolls - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Tax Lists - Crawford County ARGenWeb
Societies and Libraries
Crawford County Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 276
Alma, AR 72921
Open on Tuesday and Thursday, 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
Crawford County Historical Society
929 East Main Street
Van Buren, AR 72956-4317
Northwest Arkansas Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 796
Rogers, AR 72757-0796
Serving the Arkansas Counties of Benton, Carroll, Madison and Washington
Phone:: (501) 273-3890
Arkansas Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 17653
Little Rock, AR 72222
Arkansas Historical Association
416 Old Main, University of Arkansas
History Department - Ozark Hall 12
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Arkansas History Commission
One Capitol Mall
Little Rock, AR 72201
Trash or Treasure? Phone:
Arkansas Historical Society
422 South Sixth Street
Van Buren, AR 72956
Afro-American Historical and Genealogical Society
President, Little Rock Chapter
P.O. Box 4294
Little Rock, Arkansas 72214
Family History Centers
- Crawford County - ARGenWeb Project
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Crawford County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Cyndi's List - Arkansas Resources
- USGenWeb Project Archives - Crawford County
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).