Crawford County, Georgia GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Crawford County Georgia genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Crawford County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 9, 1822|
|Address|| Crawford County Courthouse|
PO Box 1059
Roberta, GA 31078
Crawford County Website
1851--The county courthouse was rebuilt after a fire.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Crawford County, Georgia Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
Newspapers Extracts and Abstracts
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Crawford County, Georgia Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Index to Will Bk A, 1835-1857; Bk B, 1852-1894 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Bonds (Guardianships, Administrators), Bk 2, 1874-1898 Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Inventories and Appraisements 1836-1837 Georgia Pioneers
- Wills 1835-1852 (digital images) Georgia Pioneers
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Georgia.
- 1885-1886 (from newspapers) Georgia Pioneers
- 1823-1888 - Crawford County Marriage Books A1 and A2 Index 1823-1888. Batch M712611 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1873-1902 - Crawford County Marriage Books B, C, and 5 Index 1873-1902. Batch M712612 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1898-1955 - Crawford County Marriage Books 6 and 7 Index 1898-1955. Batch M002527 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1909-1943 - Crawford County Marriage Book 8 Index 1909-1943. Batch M002528 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1942 - Crawford County Marriage Books B, C, and 5 Index 1942. Batch M712612 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1859-60, 1869-70 - Crawford County, Georgia Genealogy Mortality Schedules at Ancestry ($).
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Crawford County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers 
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Crawford County, Georgia. Page 154 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/09/Igigeorgiaad.pdf.
|This Georgia-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More