Cumberland County, New JerseyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Cumberland County, New Jersey genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, Revolutionary War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Cumberland County, New Jersey|
Location in the state of New Jersey
Location of New Jersey in the U.S.
|Address|| Cumberland County Courthouse|
60 W Broad Street
Bridgeton, NJ 08302
Phone: (856) 451-8000
Cumberland County Website
Cumberland County, New Jersey Historical Facts
- 1748, formed from Salem County
- 1763, boundary clarified with Salem County
- 1822, Cape May County boundary clarified and water boundary defined
- 1844, part of Maurice River twp. to Cape May County's Upper twp. and returned in 1845
- 1846, water boundary further clarified
- 1867, Pittsgrove twp. from Salem County and returned in 1868
- 1878, part of Maurice twp. to Cape May County's Upper twp.
- 1891, part of Maurice River twp. to Cape May County's Dennis twp.
- 1892, part of Landis twp. to Gloucester County's Franklin twp. and returned in 1897.
Obtaining Copies of County Probate Records
Copies of recorded probate records and the estate files can be obtained from the surrogate's offices for a fee. Addresses of surrogate's offices are found in:
- Eichholz, Alice, Editor. Ancestry's Red Book: American State, County, and Town Sources. Revised Edition. Salt Lake City, Utah: Ancestry, 1992. (Family History Library book 973 D27rb 1992.) Explains state-by-state history, vital records, census, background sources, periodicals, archives, libraries, societies, maps, land, probate, court, tax, cemetery, church, and military records. Includes county boundary map and table which shows when each county was created and the parent counties.
In addition, copies of the original wills, administrations, inventories, and guardianships sent to Trenton since 1901 can be ordered from:
Clerk of the Superior Court
Records Information Center
P.O. Box 967
Trenton, NJ 08625-0967
Phone: (609) 292-4978
Fax: (609) 777-0094
The County Clerk has land records from 1800’s and immigration records 1840-1989. County Surrogate has probate records. Dissolution Office has divorce records. 
Family History Centers
Cumberland County, New Jersey Web Sites
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
Cumberland County, New Jersey Genealogy References
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More