Currituck County, North Carolina GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Currituck County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
Currituck County Courthouse
Currituck, NC 27929
1820 Census Missing
Court house burned 1842
Registrar of Deeds has birth, marriage, death records
Clerk Superior Court has divorce and probate records
Currituck was formed in 1668 as a precinct in Albemarle County. It was named in honor of an Indian tribe. It is in the northeastern section of the State and is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, Albemarle Sound, Camden County, and the state of Virginia. The present area is 273 square miles and the population is 6,709. Currituck Court House, mentioned as early as 1755, is the county seat.
- Guide to Research at the North Carolina Archives [list of original & microfilm records]
- Currituck Co., NC Bonds [Administrators, Bastardy, Constables, & Guardian]
Census and Tax Records
For tips on accessing Currituck County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
Church of England
- Currituck Parish. Established by 1710.
- Various Currituck Co., NC family pages
- [Ballance] Pierce, Alycon Trubey. "The Ballance Family of Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 38, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1994):3-20; Vol. 38, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1994):105-114. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 38 (1994).
Jones, Gordon C.: .Abstracts of land-grants, tax lists, orphans dockets, inventories and other records, : Currituck and Dare counties, North Carolina, 1666-1831 Chesapeak, Virginia, G.C.Jones c1982) pages 91 FHL Book 976.6132 P28
Civil War Confederate units - Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
Newspapers & Obituaries
Organizations & Links
Photographs & Biographies
- Currituck Co., NC Vital Records [Births, Marriages & Deaths]
Wills & Estates
- Pre-1790 - Pre-1790 Currituck County, North Carolina Genealogy Wills stored at the North Carolina State Archives are online - free. Website tips.
- 1761-1960 - Will Books 1 to 8 (1761-1960) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- Currituck Co., NC Wills & Estates (NCGenWeb Project)
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Currituck County, North Carolina. Page 508 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 George Washington Paschal, History of North Carolina Baptists, 2 vols. (1930; reprint, Gallatin, Tenn.: Church History Research and Archives, 1990), 1:490, 2:563. FHL Book 975.6 K2p 1990.
- ↑ Robert J. Cain, ed., The Church of England in North Carolina: Documents, 1699-1741 (Raleigh, N.C.: Division of Archives and History, North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, 1999), 497. FHL Book 975.6 K2cr.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News