Czech Republic Church Books from the Třeboň Regional ArchiveEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Back to Czech Republic Portal Page►
Třeboň Regional Archive is in the process of digitizing parish registers and making them available through their digital archive. The database is in English.
Click on the Roman Catholic Church folder on the left. Click on the beginning letter of the parish name. Select the parish and records that you wisk to view.
Church books contain baptism (birth), marriage, and burial (death) information and are definitely the best source for identifying one’s relatives in the Czech Republic.
Entries are usually arranged in chronological order and, after 1784, in a columnar format. Sometimes, baptisms, marriages, and burials are kept all for all villages in a parish, for each year. Other times, each village has its own section of baptisms, marriages, and burials, listed chronologically. Some records are in preprinted forms. Most records include indexes. Czech church records are usually in one of three languages: Czech, German, or Latin.
While the books have been kept to the present, they are only available for research through 1905 because of privacy laws. The church books cover a majority of the population.
Baptismal entries usually contain the following:
- names of the child, parents, godparents, and sometimes grandparents
- date and place of birth and baptism
- residence and religion of the parents
- whether the child was legitimate or illegitimate
Marriage entries usually contain the following:
- names of the bride, groom, their parents, witnesses, and sometimes grandparents
- date and place of marriage
- residence and religion of the bride and groom
- age, previous marital status, and occupation of bride and groom
Burial entries usually contain the following:
- names of the deceased and spouse/parents
- date and place of death and burial
- residence and religion of the deceased
- age and cause of death of the deceased
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News