Czech Republic Civil RegistrationEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Back to Czech Republic Page►
Civil Registration [Civilní matriky]
Civil Registration refers to records of births, marriages, and deaths maintained by civil authorities. During the time of Austrian rule there were a few civil registers started in 1870 to record those of dissident faiths or to record the baptisms of children of mixed marriages but these are still categorized as church registers. Another law in 1885 allowed for the recording of mixed marriages and children of mixed marriages to be recorded in quasi civil registers by local civil officials. In 1921 registration by civil authorities was enacted into law throughout the new Czechoslovak Republic.
- Births – name of child, date of entry, place and date of birth; names, ages and residence of parents; until 1948, also the religion of parents, names of witnesses.
- Marriages – date and place of marriage; names, occupations, dates and places of birth and residences of groom and bride; names and residences of parents and witnesses; until 1948, also the religion.
- Deaths – name, occupation, residence and age of the deceased; dates of death and entry; names of surviving spouse and parents; place and cause of death; until 1948, also the religion.
Location: Municipal and subdistrict vital records offices [matriční úřady].
Research use: These records are a prime source for information about the vital events in an individual's life. The information in them can be used to compile pedigrees and family groups and to perform temple ordinances. They identify children, spouses, parents, as well as dates and places of vital events. They establish individual identity and are excellent sources for linking generations.
Accessibility: Some information can be obtained by correspondence or by visiting the vital records offices in person.
Wiki articles describing these collections are found at:
- Czech Repubilic Births and Baptisms (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Czech Republic Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)