Dallas County, Iowa GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Iowa-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
Dallas County Iowa Courthouse
801 Court Street Rm 203
P. O. Box 38
Adel, IA 50003
Dallas County was named for George Mifflin Dallas, 11th Vice President of the United States of America, under President James K. Polk . The Early History of Dallas County article gives helpful informaton on the County's beginnings. Other statistical information can be found at Wikipedia.
15 January 1851: Greene County was set off.
Iowa recorded not only the federal census but state census through out the years too. The state census contains very valuable genealogical information. Where the census information can be found, what years it was taken, mortality schedules, census substitutions and much more is discussed in the very informative Iowa Census article.
Church History and Records
- Methodist Episcopal
- Cumberland Presbyterian
- United Brethren in Christ
- Court Records
- Divorce Records
Also see: Biography, History
Land and Deed Records
David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures. This Collection features the cities of Altoona and Adel.
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
- Altoona Public Library Archives, Polk County (1876-2000)
- Johnston Historical Society Archive, Polk County (1970-2007)
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Des Moines newspapers. This database is free at some libraries.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].