Dalmillington Church Record

From FamilySearch Wiki

(Difference between revisions)
(Add to page)
 
Line 1: Line 1:
<!--{12055152540990} -->
+
<!--{12055156789700} -->New Statistical Account of Scotland (FHL book 941 B4sa, series 2)
New Statistical Account of Scotland (FHL book 941 B4sa, series 2)
+
  
 
Vol. # ___5__ County: _______Ayr____________ Parish: _______Dalmellington________ <br>
 
Vol. # ___5__ County: _______Ayr____________ Parish: _______Dalmellington________ <br>
  
 
+
<br>This account was written in&nbsp;1837.
This account was written in&nbsp;
+
 
+
 
+
1837.
+
  
 
The name can be traced to its Gaelic origin ''Dail'', signifying a field or valley, and ''Muileann''which means a mill and the common affix ton. It therefore signifies a mill field.
 
The name can be traced to its Gaelic origin ''Dail'', signifying a field or valley, and ''Muileann''which means a mill and the common affix ton. It therefore signifies a mill field.
Line 16: Line 11:
  
  
Dalmellington are the nearest towns.
+
Dalmellington are the nearest towns.<br>The river Doon flows through this parish.<br>The Hon. Colonel and Mrs. Macadam Cathcart of&nbsp; Craigengillan, posses nearly the whole of the parish.<br>The land was primarily used for,&nbsp; coal, sheep, cattle, oats, potatoes, hay, and woollen mills .<br>The population in 1791 was 681.<br>The population in 1837 was 1126.
 
+
 
+
The river Doon flows
+
 
+
 
+
Through this parish.
+
 
+
 
+
The Hon. Colonel and Mrs. Macadam Cathcart of&nbsp;
+
 
+
 
+
Craigengillan, posses nearly the whole of the parish.<br>The land was primarily used for,&nbsp; coal, sheep, cattle, oats, potatoes, hay, and woollen mills .<br>The population in 1791 was 681.<br>The population in 1837 was 1126.
+
  
 
The first date of the parish &nbsp;records is March 7, 1641, and for the most part have been well kept to the present day.(1837)<br>The number of Communicants at the Established Church is 465. There are 7 Reformed Presbyterians<br>And a family or two of Irish Papists.
 
The first date of the parish &nbsp;records is March 7, 1641, and for the most part have been well kept to the present day.(1837)<br>The number of Communicants at the Established Church is 465. There are 7 Reformed Presbyterians<br>And a family or two of Irish Papists.
  
 
+
<br>
  
 
<br>
 
<br>
 +
<!--{12055156789701} -->

Revision as of 17:29, 14 March 2008

New Statistical Account of Scotland (FHL book 941 B4sa, series 2)

Vol. # ___5__ County: _______Ayr____________ Parish: _______Dalmellington________


This account was written in 1837.

The name can be traced to its Gaelic origin Dail, signifying a field or valley, and Muileannwhich means a mill and the common affix ton. It therefore signifies a mill field.


Ayr, and


Dalmellington are the nearest towns.
The river Doon flows through this parish.
The Hon. Colonel and Mrs. Macadam Cathcart of  Craigengillan, posses nearly the whole of the parish.
The land was primarily used for,  coal, sheep, cattle, oats, potatoes, hay, and woollen mills .
The population in 1791 was 681.
The population in 1837 was 1126.

The first date of the parish  records is March 7, 1641, and for the most part have been well kept to the present day.(1837)
The number of Communicants at the Established Church is 465. There are 7 Reformed Presbyterians
And a family or two of Irish Papists.