Dalmillington Church RecordEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
New Statistical Account of Scotland (FHL book 941 B4sa, series 2)
Vol. # ___5__ County: _______Ayr____________ Parish: _______Dalmellington________
This account was written in 1837.
The name can be traced to its Gaelic origin Dail, signifying a field or valley, and Muileannwhich means a mill and the common affix ton. It therefore signifies a mill field.
Ayr, and Dalmellington are the nearest towns. The river Doon flows through this parish.The Hon. Colonel and Mrs. Macadam Cathcart of Craigengillan, posses nearly the whole of the parish. The land was primarily used for coal, sheep, cattle, oats, potatoes, hay, and woollen mills. The population in 1791 was 681. The population in 1837 was 1126.
The first date of the parish records is March 7, 1641, and for the most part have been well kept to the present day.(1837)
The number of Communicants at the Established Church is 465. There are 7 Reformed Presbyterians
And a family or two of Irish Papists.
Scottish Church Records
Parish: Dalmellington (#586)
Established Church—Old Parochial Registers
Years Covered / FHL Film Number
- Births: 1641–1854 / 1041337 item 3–4
- Marriages: 1641–1854 / 1041337 item 3–4
- Deaths: No entries
Condition of Original Registers
Index: For an index to these records, see the Scottish Church Records Index on computer at the Family History Library under “Databases on the Network.”
Births: Births are intermixed with marriages prior to 1676. They are blank May 1662–July 1671 and December 1682–August 1690. They are also blank July 1705–November 1719. May 1726–1727, 1727–1789 inclusive is a memorandum book. Entries are out of order of time, frequently 1805–1817. After 1819, there are seven pages containing entries 1810–1817. Mothers' names are seldom recorded until 1816, except 1690–1692.
Marriages:Marriages are intermixed with births prior to 1676. They are blank May 1662–October 1671 and July 1676–August 1690, after which the entries are again intermixed with the births. The records are blank July 1705–November 1719, after which the entries until the 1726 marriages are written on occasional pages of the register of births. A separate record commences in 1730, there is a blank from May 1726. The first few pages are partially destroyed and imperfect entries. There are no entries November 1740–May 1742. After 1820, there is a duplicate of the record 1812–1816 inclusive and twelve pages containing entries of sums collected 1809–1819 inclusive. Except 1700–1705 and 1720–1726, the record prior to 1816 appears to be one of bookings or proclamations.
Source: Key to the Parochial Registers of Scotland, by V. Ben Bloxham, pub. 1970 British book 941 K23b.
Established Church—Kirk Session Records
Minutes 1641–1720, 1728–1800, 1848–1849
Cash Book 1845–1862
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH2/85.
Nonconformist Church Records
Dalmellington - Free Church
This congregation was formed of adherents of the Free Church in Carsphairn and Dalmellington. In both parishes preparation had been made in view of the Disruption. In Carsphairn the movement was led by the parish minister, who finally remained in the establishment. At first the whole district, from Dalrymple to Carsphairn, was put under charge of Mt. Spiers of Patna. The Carsphairn part of the congregation met in houses, barns, or on the hillside, until 1844, when the church was built at Lamloch. Those at Dalmellington worshiped in a small schoolroom, then in a dwelling-house which had been turned into a hall. The church was erected in 1851, and the manse in 1853. Church and manse were subsequently renovated. When the lead mines were closed the church at Lamloch, according to agreement, passed into the hands of the proprietor, and was long unused.
Membership: 1848, 231; 1900, 286.
Source: Annals of the Free Church of Scotland, 1843–1900, ed. Rev. William Ewing, D.D., 2 vols. pub. 1914. Film #918572.
- Minutes 1843–1915
- Register of Members and Contributions 1849–1855
- General Sustentation Fund Register 1846–1849
- Communion Roll 1844–1859
Note: Available at the National Archives of Scotland, Edinburgh, record CH3/777.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News