DeSoto Parish, Louisiana GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|DeSoto Parish, Louisiana|
Location in the state of Louisiana
Location of Louisiana in the U.S.
|Founded||April 1, 1843|
- Named for Hernando deSoto (small "d"), the Spaniard who explored the future southeastern United States, discovered and named the Mississippi River.
- The first Parish courthouse was a log house.
- 1 April 1843: DeSoto Parish was created from Natchitoches and Caddo Parishes.
Parish seat: Mansfield 
- Eastern part of the parish was set off 2 March 1871 to form Red River Parish
- See an interactive map of DeSoto Parish boundary changes. (map also shows parish boundaries for census years)
Places / Localities
- City: Mansfield
- Towns: Keachi . Logansport . Stonewall
- Villages: Grand Cane . Longstreet . South Mansfield . Stanley
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
- Louisiana African American Griots Project ~ USGenWeb Project
- Afrigeneas - African Ancestored Genealogy
Archives and Libraries
- DeSoto Parish LA. Cemeteries - LAGenWeb
- Click here to check out Trish Cannon website for cemetery lists.
- LA Tombstone Transcription Project ~ partial records and photos ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Interment.net ~ LA cemetery records by county
- African American Cemeteries ~ listing by county
- FindaGrave.com ~ cemetery records with search by cemetery, by surname
|De Soto Parish Census Data|
- Louisiana Census Images ~ USGenWeb Census Images Project
- USGW Digital Map Collection ~ USGenWeb Project
Louisiana Probate Records ~ information on.
Louisiana Records and Statistics Information ~ where and how to order information.
Societies and Libraries
- LAGenWeb - Louisiana State Records
- USGenWeb ~ Records, Maps, Archives and Other Projects
- Louisiana Archives ~ USGenWeb Archives Project *FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for DeSoto Parish.
- The DeSoto Parish LAGenWeb Project, an member of The LAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- DeSoto Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ United States Census Bureau. "De Soto Parish Quickfacts". http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22/22031.html. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
- ↑ United States Census Bureau. "Louisiana Population of Counties by Decennial Census: 1900 to 1990". http://www.census.gov/population/cencounts/la190090.txt. Retrieved 2008-02-02.
|This Louisiana-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More