Defiance County, Ohio GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This Ohio-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
|Defiance County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Created||April 7, 1845|
|Address|| Defiance County Courthouse|
500 Court St.
Defiance, Ohio 43512-2157
Defiance County Website
Defiance County Courthouse
510 Court Street
Defiance, OH 43512-2157
County Recorder has birth and death records 1867-1908,
marriage records from 1845, land records from 1843,
probate records from 1845, divorce and court records 1800’s,
naturalization records 1872-1903 and military discharge records
1865-1973; County Health Department has birth and death records
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Henry, Paulding and Williams Counties 4 March 1845.
- County Seat: Defiance
- Neighboring Counties: Defiance County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Williams (north) · Henry (east) · Paulding (south) · Putnam (southeast) · Allen County, Indiana (west)
See an interactive map of Defiance County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
BillionGraves (Headstone photos, Google map, transcriptions, searchable database, both by individual cemetery and the entire site):
- Bethlehem Lutheran Cemetery, Defiance
- Evansport Cemetery, Defiance
- Hire Cemetery, Defiance
- Independence Cemetery, Defiance
- Marysdale Catholic Cemetery, Ney
- New Saint Johns Methodist Cemetery, Defiance
- Ney Cemetery, Ney
- Old Saint Johns Methodist Cemetery, Defiance
- Pleasant Bend and Ayersville Cemetery, Defiance
- Riverview Memory Gardens, Defiance
- Saint Michaels Catholic Cemetery, Defiance
- Taylor Cemetery, Defiance
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- Civil War
Civil War service men from Defiance County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Defiance County.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Family History Centers
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), [FHL book 973 D27e 2002].
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Defiance County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defiance_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More